Flat Rate Airfare

My understanding is you work with ACL to select the airline you prefer and or time. I don’t know about seat. When we have used Viking Air, seats are selected and then I go in and change them as needed on the airlines website. 
We will be using this benefit for our cruise next year and haven’t started the process as of yet. 

When we did this last year ACL just sent a confirmation without any discussion. There was no way to upgrade to business or first class. We were able to select/change seats on the airline website.

My wife and I live in the Tyler, Texas area and the only airline that flies out of that airport is American to their hub at DFW.  On our last ACL cruise, our airfare was included.  They asked what airport was convenient and we chose Tyler.  They handled the booking and provided us a booking code number.  As an American Airline frequent flier, I was then able to access that booking and change the seat assignments to what we preferred.  

On our Viking cruise (also airfare was included) they would not include our regional hub to initiate travel.  We needed to make the trip to DFW and catch our flight to Europe there.   Made us appreciate the service from ACL more.