Tie necessary on formal night.

22 hours ago, Tony UK said:

It always seems strange to me that it is only the restaurant which is formal whilst the rest of the ship is smart casual?

This gives passengers who don't want to dress up an opportunity to eat dinner at a venue other than their own cabin.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Tony UK said:

I guess nowadays, ties are very old fashioned especially in the in the non office world!

True in the office world too.  If you walk around Central London during weekday business hours you'll see professional men in suits (coat and pants/slacks/trousers) without ties.  For many, ties now only worn for important client facing meetings I was told by several people.

Edited by stan01
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 11:29 AM, Capri73 said:

I do not understand the issue with a tie. It is so easy to pack.

I used to pack two ties. One to wear, and the other to replace the first one after I spilled gravy on it!

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, commodoredave said:

I used to pack two ties. One to wear, and the other to replace the first one after I spilled gravy on it!

Same for hubby!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

This gives passengers who don't want to dress up an opportunity to eat dinner at a venue other than their own cabin.

So after dinner there is a mix of styles in all the venues?

We always dress nicely for dinner but usually not formal wear. I like to see and accept a range of styles from all kinds of people from all over the world. Diversity means it is interpreted in lots of different ways doesnt it!

We are on the sourjoin at the moment.Last night was formal night.I was surprised at how many tuxedos and long gowns.They definily did not let anyone enter with jeans or a jacket.

Seabourn's website has been updated and it is made clear that elegant jeans are welcome in main dining room on elegant casual nights, but not formal nights.  And the elegant jeans can be worn by men and women.

Formal night:  minimum is jacket and trousers for men and "other formal wear" for women.  Seems like many women feel a sparkly top and a black skirt/trousers pass as "other formal wear".  I don't see minimum compliance as an issue for anyone.  Those who prioritize wanting to see everyone dressed formally might want to consider Cunard Queen Mary Queens Grill where they will see many tuxedos and gowns on formal nights.

18 minutes ago, stan01 said:

Seabourn's website has been updated and it is made clear that elegant jeans are welcome in main dining room on elegant casual nights, but not formal nights.  And the elegant jeans can be worn by men and women.

Formal night:  minimum is jacket and trousers for men and "other formal wear" for women.  Seems like many women feel a sparkly top and a black skirt/trousers pass as "other formal wear".  I don't see minimum compliance as an issue for anyone.  Those who prioritize wanting to see everyone dressed formally might want to consider Cunard Queen Mary Queens Grill where they will see many tuxedos and gowns on formal nights.

2 minutes ago, Capri73 said:

I don’t need a lecture on the dress code I can read.I was only stating that on this particular cruise people were dressed more than casual.

My goodness!  I hope you and everyone else on your cruise are enjoying themselves.

1 minute ago, stan01 said:

My goodness!  I hope you and everyone else on your cruise are enjoying themselves.

2 minutes ago, stan01 said:

Yes we are.Done with this topic.

Just now, commodoredave said:

Hey Stan. What if I wore a jean jacket on formal night?! 🙂

Now that would be interesting.  Per Seabourn's website I think you could wear a jeans jacket or even a puffer jacket with your slacks to argue your point. You also apparently don't have to have a shirt on underneath the jacket either, or heaven forbid you could wear a t-shirt under the jacket to dress like a billionaire tech founder.  Seems like Seabourn has some more editing to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, stan01 said:

Now that would be interesting.  Per Seabourn's website I think you could wear a jeans jacket or even a puffer jacket with your slacks to argue your point. You also apparently don't have to have a shirt on underneath the jacket either, or heaven forbid you could wear a t-shirt under the jacket to dress like a billionaire tech founder.  Seems like Seabourn has some more editing to do.

Any word about socks?

There were two cruising regulars, gentleman who always wore jean bib overalls.  They had formal wear custom made out of black denim, bib overalls and jackets to match.  A fascinating pair to travel with. Sadly they are no longer with us.

On 7/16/2024 at 2:54 PM, Capri73 said:

We are on the sourjoin at the moment.Last night was formal night.I was surprised at how many tuxedos and long gowns.They definily did not let anyone enter with jeans or a jacket.

This made me lol! People wandering around with just jeans or just a jacket!!

I guess you can exceed the standard if you want, however tuxedos and gowns are in excess of the minimum. I guess nowadays with much more diversity we all need to be more tolerant and accepting of a variety of approaches.

• Like 1