Will I Be Late

4 hours ago, edinburgher said:

It appears that you, like me, think it is an issue with the manifest. I asked in my post #18 if anyone could clarify,ย  but although so far nobady has, it appears that you are of the same opinion as me so perhaps that is indeed the answer so thank you for mentioning it in your post.

ย 

I certainly do.

ย 

As it is a ship sailing from a non-EU country (the UK) with a first stop in the EU then the EU border guard rules come into play -ย Practical handbook for border guards_en.pdf (europa.eu)

ย 

As section 2.5. says -ย 

ย 

The crews and passengers lists must be transmitted to the respective border guards byย 
the cruise ship's captain or, failing that, the ship owner's agent at the latest twenty-fourย 
hours before arriving in the port, or at the latest at the time the ship leaves the previousย 
port, if the voyage time is less than twenty-four hours,

ย 

As the voyage will be less than 24 hours from the UK to the first EU port then then agent will want to submit the crew and passenger list as soon as the ship sails, so they will want to have a finalised list ready to go as soon as embarkation is closed.

ย 

I would not expect the ship's agent to wait until the actual departure before submitting, but they would do so as soon as embarkation is closed even if the ship is not due to sail for another hour.

ย 

So the issue would be when the call was made by the late passengers to say they were running late was made.

ย 

If the agent has already submitted the crew and passenger list because embarkation has closed and then I would not expect the captain to mess the agent around asking for them to make amendments and would simply tell the late running passengers 'tough luck'.

ย 

If the call was before embarkation closed and the list finalised then if the captain was certain the late passengers would arrive on time and still allow the agent time to submit the list then I suppose the captain might agree, but I rather doubt they would.

ย 

ย 

20 hours ago, 9265359 said:

If the agent has already submitted the crew and passenger list because embarkation has closed and then I would not expect the captain to mess the agent around asking for them to make amendments and would simply tell the late running passengers 'tough luck'.

ย 

If the call was before embarkation closed and the list finalised then if the captain was certain the late passengers would arrive on time and still allow the agent time to submit the list then I suppose the captain might agree, but I rather doubt they would.

I think for most embarking passengers there is too much of a "might be lucky, might be unlucky" risk when leaving it to the last possible minute and hoping for the best, when it could be a worst case scenario and refused boarding without the option of catching up at the next port..ย  Arriving a day or two ahead is by far the safest and most stress free option..

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Arriving a day or two ahead is by far the safest and most stress free option..

Particularly for my last cruise, which was a transatlantic, so limited opportunity for catching up.ย 

ย 

So, we flew to Heathrow on the Sunday. Had to do that to be certain of......catching the Monday morning flight to Miami. Which meant, as everything did go well, we had a nice Tuesday in Miami......before boarding on Wednesday.ย 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Harters said:

Which meant, as everything did go well, we had a nice Tuesday in Miami......before boarding on Wednesday.ย 

and a day to help with jet lag, as even although much easier flying west it still takes a couple of days. A very good start to the trip..๐Ÿ˜

Edited by edinburgher

44 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

as even although much easier flying west it still takes a couple of days

When we were thinking about the transatlantic, I asked on the Oceania forum which direction folk recommended east-west or west-east. And there was an interesting but clear response. Every American suggested east-west, whilst every European suggested west-east. When you read the responses closer, it was apparent that what folk meant was that the best route was the one that ended more in your own time zone (which was my initial supposition). On the several occasions over the decades that we've holidayed in North America andย  flown home, I've been totally wrecked, not just from the jet lag but losing a nights sleep as well. I doubt we'll do that sort of holiday again - our aging bodies just resent it too much.ย 

16 hours ago, edinburgher said:

I think for most embarking passengers there is too much of a "might be lucky, might be unlucky" risk when leaving it to the last possible minute and hoping for the best, when it could be a worst case scenario and refused boarding without the option of catching up at the next port..ย  Arriving a day or two ahead is by far the safest and most stress free option..

ย 

I have done a few fly-cruises and almost all have involved arriving a day or two beforehand - not only to avoid the risk of missing the ship, but also to give time to look around the area where the ship is starting and ending the cruise, otherwise that is just an 'in and out'.

ย 

The only ones that haven't involved a stay before are where the flight is actually a charter run by the cruise line and if the flight is late then the ship will wait, the same as it will wait for a late excursion bus.

7 hours ago, 9265359 said:

The only ones that haven't involved a stay before are where the flight is actually a charter run by the cruise line and if the flight is late then the ship will wait, the same as it will wait for a late excursion bus.

We have enjoyed a number of cruiseline charter flights over the years, usually with UK cruiselines, but back in the day weย  had a Princess one from a local airport which flew us to Quebec for a Canada/New England itinerary.ย  Whatever happened to these charters?

16 hours ago, Harters said:

On the several occasions over the decades that we've holidayed in North America andย  flown home, I've been totally wrecked, not just from the jet lag but losing a nights sleep as well. I doubt we'll do that sort of holiday again - our aging bodies just resent it too much.ย 

Same with countries such as Canada and the Far East when there have been many many hours time difference and it affected us for a number of days. OTOH flying TO the US has only required a couple of days.

• Like 1