Tilbury as a cruise stop

From the little research I have done, there seems to be little to recommend Tilbury as a stop on a cruise. Grimy and industrial are words that pop up regularly. My partner and I tend to prefer doing our own thing rather than group tours and would happily head up to London for a stroll and some lunch but I can't find any info on getting to the train station from the port. Has anyone done this? Is it fairly easy to do?

Tilbury Town station is just under one mile walk from the cruise terminal, so you could walk it. Trains are at least every half hour to Fenchurch St station in London and its 40 mins each way, cost £6.30 each, each way. Fenchurch St is about 400 yds from the Tower of London, so pretty central for the 'touristy' things. The only thing to see in Tilbury is the fort. https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/tilbury-fort/

Simon

• Like 1

If you decide to use the train, but don't fancy walking back from the station to your ship, get off at Grays.  That's the stop before Tilbury.  There will be taxis waiting there, whereas you won't get one at Tilbury.  There are also more trains from London to Grays than to Tilbury.

• Like 1

We found Tilbury to be a very interesting port. We took the ferry across to Gravesend & did a walk about there is a statue of Pocahontas who is buried in the local cemetery, there is also the Tilbury Fort. All within easy walking distance of the ship. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ski ww said:

We found Tilbury to be a very interesting port. We took the ferry across to Gravesend & did a walk about there is a statue of Pocahontas who is buried in the local cemetery, there is also the Tilbury Fort. All within easy walking distance of the ship. 

Sadly the Gravesend ferry stopped running in April due to funding issues.

8 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Sadly the Gravesend ferry stopped running in April due to funding issues.

That is too bad, it was a great way to do this port on your own.