Ticks in Norway

I'm heading to the Fjords on Iona next month and someone recently mentioned ticks in Norway (specifically the risk of getting infected with TBE). It's not something I was previously aware of, and as bad as TBE sounds it seems only southern Norway is affected, and even then the risk is very low.

Seems like you're more at risk when hiking, which we're planning to do, but doesn't look like the areas Iona travels to are in a high risk area (though it's hard to find anything conclusive).

Apparently you can be vaccinated, but only privately and at a cost of £165 per person - all seems a bit extreme given this risk is so low.

Is anyone else aware of TBE in Norway? Can't think we'll get vaccinated, but keen to hear other people's thoughts!

I am not a doctor, and this is my subjective assessment.

In Norway, the risk of TBE is relatively low, but cases do occur, especially in coastal regions in southern Norway

To avoid being attacked by ticks while hiking in Norway, follow these precautions:

Stick to the trails and avoid tall grass, brush, and wooded areas. Wear long sleeves and long pants.

Vaccination against TBE is recommended if you plan to spend a lot of time in outdoor activities in areas where it is mostly likely to encounter ticks. In general taking preventive measures as described above might be sufficient. 

For short-term visitors or those hiking in areas with lower TBE risk, taking preventive measures as described above might be sufficient

Consult with a healthcare provider to assess your specific risk and determine if the TBE vaccination is advisable for your travel plans.

Yes, seems like taking precautions is the best course of action. Particularly given I won't be in the higher risk areas.

Never for one moment thought I'd be researching vaccines for a cruise to Norway!

The local advisory for the TBE vaccine is a for people in the affected areas, mainly along the southern coast:

tbe-tilfeller-antatt-smittested-norge.jp

If you’ll be hiking predominantly on the west coast around the fjords, just follow normal precautions and be aware of the potential symptoms.

The advice from FHI (health institute) is:

• When traveling in areas with a lot of ticks, it is recommended to wear long trousers and to be well covered at the ankles when traveling in areas with a lot of ticks.

• It is recommended to walk on paths rather than in places with tall grass, heather and scrub.

• Using insecticides with diethyltoluamide on skin and clothing reduces the number of ticks that attach.

• After traveling in areas with a lot of ticks, one should also inspect the skin, especially in children. You should also look for ticks on the fabric, also on the wrong side. Showering is recommended to wash off any ticks that have not attached.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BHA58 said:

Never for one moment thought I'd be researching vaccines for a cruise to Norway!

Ticks are also to be found in many areas of Scotland, especially, as noted above, in woodland, moorland, and long grass areas where the same clothing advisories are recommended.  Dog walkers are usually advised to check their pets after walking in such areas.

38 minutes ago, edinburgher said:
21 hours ago, BHA58 said:

researching vaccines for a cruise to Norway!

Ticks are also to be found in many areas of Scotland, especially, as noted above, in woodland, moorland, and long grass areas where the same clothing advisories are recommended.  Dog walkers are usually advised to check their pets after walking in such areas.

Yes, ticks are prevalent across the UK, but regions of Norway have ones that carry TBE, which I believe is more serious than the lymes disease associated with ticks over here. Seems very rare, though, so just taking sensible precautions would appear to be the best approach.

On 6/7/2024 at 8:21 AM, BHA58 said:

I'm heading to the Fjords on Iona next month and someone recently mentioned ticks in Norway (specifically the risk of getting infected with TBE). It's not something I was previously aware of, and as bad as TBE sounds it seems only southern Norway is affected, and even then the risk is very low.

Seems like you're more at risk when hiking, which we're planning to do, but doesn't look like the areas Iona travels to are in a high risk area (though it's hard to find anything conclusive).

Apparently you can be vaccinated, but only privately and at a cost of £165 per person - all seems a bit extreme given this risk is so low.

Is anyone else aware of TBE in Norway? Can't think we'll get vaccinated, but keen to hear other people's thoughts!

Didn’t have any issues hiking around the fjords last week and none of the trails were through long grassy areas, the hikes we did were mainly rocky paths or paved/gravel paths.

You could take a tick remover card or tweezers just in case, I usually carry one out hiking. 
Definitely take normal insect repellent though, we hadn’t thought about it and were bitten quite a lot by midges in the wooded areas going up to Pulpit Rock. 

21 minutes ago, CruisingSarah said:

Didn’t have any issues hiking around the fjords last week and none of the trails were through long grassy areas, the hikes we did were mainly rocky paths or paved/gravel paths.

You could take a tick remover card or tweezers just in case, I usually carry one out hiking. 
Definitely take normal insect repellent though, we hadn’t thought about it and were bitten quite a lot by midges in the wooded areas going up to Pulpit Rock. 

Thanks, that's good to hear.

If you were on the Iona cruise and have any tips for hikes, I'd love to hear them! We stretched out budget on the cruise, so will spend most days exploring the local area on foot.

Just now, BHA58 said:

Thanks, that's good to hear.

If you were on the Iona cruise and have any tips for hikes, I'd love to hear them! We stretched out budget on the cruise, so will spend most days exploring the local area on foot.

Not sure Iona’s itinerary but we did Pulpit Rock from Stavanger and we did go there with P&O due to it being quite far from the ship, but it was expensive for what was essentially a bus ride as it was not a guided hike despite their description.  It was fine as it’s a very very obvious and busy trail but it was very expensive for a bus ride. I think you can get independent transport if you’re confident to do that. The Pulpit Rock hike is moderate, tough in places as it’s basically big stone steps ascending steeply in parts, it’s never a scramble but it’s big steps and big rocks and uneven. If you’re used to Wales or Lake District hikes, it’s like that. It’s just over 5 miles and 1700ft ascent. It’s busy. 

In Olden we walked up to the Mount Huaren Viewpoint which was a very straightforward paved trail up right from across the road from the ship. It’s about 5.5 miles round trip with about 1500ft ascent. Very nice, easy uphill walk, we would have extended it to Lostoylen point too and made it a circular if we had been a bit better organised. 

In Flåm again we walked off the ship and picked up a map in the tourist office and walked route number 3 up to the Brekkefossen Waterfall and along the river back, that was about 4 miles, mostly flat except the stone steps path up 660 ft to the waterfall. 

In Bergen we had been before so we just pottered about the town but you can go up Mount Floyen either walking up or down or both or by the funicular, don’t buy the ship’s trip as it’s so easy to do it yourself cheaper. 

Last year we did Geiranger and Eidfjord on another cruise and again walked independently right off the ship to the waterfall above Geiranger, 7 miles, 2000ft ascent, and Eidfjord we walked a flat trail (yellow route) up to the sand beach of a Eidfjord lake and then up to the Hodna overlook point above the port, it was an easy 4 mile walk, 500ft ascent. I think there may be longer/better walks here but it was a really nice scenic easy one. 

Sadly we're not going to Flam or Bergen, but that Olden walk (and possible circular) sounds perfect. I'll check it out - thanks!

• Like 1

BHA58, recently returned from Iona cruise to Norway and last year Queen Victoria to North Cape. 

May 2024, on Iona walked to Briksdal glacier an Olden port excursion, wanted to do the Loen sky lift but fully booked,  we booked this cruise very late - unusual for us. 

Walking to the Briksdal glacier, the guide stated 45 mins - I am a photographer and photographed various locations on the walk and it was 70mins. We are fit,  walk, gym, mountain bike and the walk was fine. If you are fit, wear boots, and have a Goretex you should be ok. You may have time restrictions for the walk so just be careful. We walked up the path to Mt Aksla in Alesund, 420 steps, biggest problem with this path was the number of tourists walking up a path probably 1m wide - Iona and an Aida ship in port so probably 3k people on the hill. On top a good view of Alesund.  

We really enjoyed Norway, been 3x so far post pandemic, but you need to be fit.   

Image below is on the trail to Briksdal glacier. 

DAR 4.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, what a photo! I believe there's a public bus at Olden that will take you to the same spot as the P&O excursion. Obvs the fear of it breaking down or us missing the return bus is huge!

Thanks for your other tips - much appreciated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BHA58 said:

Wow, what a photo! I believe there's a public bus at Olden that will take you to the same spot as the P&O excursion. Obvs the fear of it breaking down or us missing the return bus is huge!

Thanks for your other tips - much appreciated.

Briksdal is lovely, I didn’t mention it, but had done it some years ago.  There’s definitely a public bus but apparently it’s infrequent, but there are a couple of tents on the dock with independent operators running buses up there. You could try Olden Adventures in advance. Some of the independent operators are a fraction of the P&O price.