Ship transfer to airport in London

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 1:49 PM, techfashion said:

Thanks for sending. Our flight is at 12:20 pm United out of Heathrow. It is about an hour to Heathrow I think from the cruise terminal. It does look like independent guests have more options of times so maybe we will do that.

An hour, ship to LHR airport desk is very optimistic.

If this is a weekday, expect traffic to be heavy to slow in parts, especially near the airport.

Clogged traffic in the port area can also be a factor.

There are 4 different terminals at LHR. That can be a factor too.

With flight time of 12:20 you'll need to check in 2 hours earlier (United uses terminal 2 by the way). That's 10:20 am. Assuming it's a weekday, I'd allow 2 hours to get to the bus stop at terminal 2. That means leaving the dock at 8:20 am. Add some extra time for baggage schlepping at your at 8:00am.

Tight.

Suggest you go for a later flight. Alternative forms of road ransport won't improve this much - they all use the same highway.

The train is more predictable but you'd have to change twice; tricky with baggage but it will get you there on time:

8:15 depart Southampton Central station (about 5 minutes taxi from dock) arrive Reading 09:07.

09:16 Reading to Hayes & Harlington  arrive 09:50

09:59 Hayes & Harlingtom to Heathrow Terminals 2&3 arrive 10:14.

To do this, you'd need to "self disembark', taking your baggage along with you.

Edited by Canuker

It really depends on how many ships are in at once and what day of the week it is. Summer is also very busy with many events that can cause higher levels of traffic. I work at LHR and was parked there so booked the coach transfer from Southampton after my TA. I just told the front desk I wasn't flying but wanted to take the coach to the airport.

1.5 hours to 2.5 hours in highway depending on traffic and whether it is a holiday weekend. Whyvend a great holiday with the stress of getting to the airport to catch an early international flight. We always book flights 4 pm and later or spend a night at heathrow airport hotel who will hold luggage until check in and we dash off by city bus to windsor for the remainder of the afternoon. Then take early flight next day. So much more relaxed. One year passed  I do remember ship arriving 2 hours late in Southampton. What a mess for people with those early flights.

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 6:49 PM, techfashion said:

Thanks for sending. Our flight is at 12:20 pm United out of Heathrow. It is about an hour to Heathrow I think from the cruise terminal. It does look like independent guests have more options of times so maybe we will do that.

I would say absolute minimum of 90 minutes travel between Southampton and Heathrow.  I would plan on 2 hours to allow for some traffic - 2.5 hours to be safe.  Private transfer is best since it if there is an accident/issue, a smaller vehicle can go back routes to get there.  we live about half way between the 2 (a bit closer to Southampton than Heathrow).

Edited by Mara4166