Always wanted to be on a cruise when a hurricane is out there

Posted (edited)

I know stupid but want to experience it.

Yes the ships do not sail straight through them thankfully. That would be crazy if so.

Anyone ever been on one near a hurricane?

Edited by crusingrightnow
  • Like 1

Our 2nd cruise we skirted TS Isaac.  Not quite a full hurricane, but it brought enough swell that we had to port out of Canaveral instead of Tampa.  Because of the change we missed most of the weather.  Caught a little rain and wind but nothing to write home about.

Our 3rd cruise we hit another TS, or at least building to a TS about 1/2 way between FL and the ABC Islands.  We hit swells that would bury the 4th, 5th and sometimes the 6th decks, a couple that felt like they would either break the keel or slam us out of bed.  Not a smooth ride for nearly 24 hours!  Many got sick.  Captain did an awesome job skirting the full depression as well as keeping us headed into the waves.  We still had 6-8 foot swells when we went scuba diving off of Aruba.

• Like 1

No you don't. Trust me, you don't. If you do,  your vacation memories will be captioned "Seemed like a good idea at the time". You could try sky diving with a defective parachute to experience the rush you would get when your chute fails to open.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Our first cruise was during the very active 2005 Katrina year.  We sailed the Eastern Caribbean around early/mid September, post-Katrina but between Ophelia and Rita.  We obviously didn't sail close to the core of the storms but it was still pretty rocky of course (even with stabilizers deployed) and the weather was hit and miss with bands of rain.  The missus got a bit seasick.  Shows had to be moved around because it wasn't stable enough for the performers to do their thing. 

Yes ... many times in and near to aT RS, and once we nearly got caught out by a hurricane that hadn't read the book and it turned the wrong way ... none of the above were pleasant.

Unless you fancy rolling through an arc of 70 to 80 degrees for days on end, or having to heave too to wait it out of course 😏

In the same storm the Derbyshire sank with massive loss of life.

We sailed on NCL Encore on her 1st transatlantic out of Southampton to NYC on November 2, 2019. Worried about the impacts on out flight and cruise, I had been watching an extreme low pressure system moving through the Atlantic. By the time this storm was nearing the UK, it had been named Ciaran. Our sailing was delayed for about 6 hours to allow for the worst of the storm to pass, but the sea state for the first couple of days was intense! The winds were whipping 30-40 foot seas and all exterior decks were closed. My husband and I don't suffer from any type of seasickness AT ALL (we had an absolue blastand even had the crew laughing at us during the storm), but a large number of the passengers were sick and in their cabins. Even though the bridge crew was amazing and Encore handled the sea state better than I expected, we still watched waves engulf the bow and eventually crack a window on Deck 15! In short, you may want to be careful what you wish for!

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.