Effective Date of Policy

I just booked a cruise for February and I am looking at trip insurance, primarily for the medical and evac benefits. I am reading the fine print, but I don't understand when the "effective date of policy" is for the pre-existing conditions waiver (to be purchased timely). When is this "lookback period" of 90 days or so? Is it 90 days prior to the first deposit date, 90 days prior to the cruise/trip, or 90 days prior to the purchase of the trip insurance policy?

3 hours ago, land64shark said:

I just booked a cruise for February and I am looking at trip insurance, primarily for the medical and evac benefits. I am reading the fine print, but I don't understand when the "effective date of policy" is for the pre-existing conditions waiver (to be purchased timely). When is this "lookback period" of 90 days or so? Is it 90 days prior to the first deposit date, 90 days prior to the cruise/trip, or 90 days prior to the purchase of the trip insurance policy?

Hi land64shark,

A Trip Cancellation Insurance plan's effective date is the the next calendar day after you buy it.

I can't speak for all plans, but the plans I know are the days prior to the purchase of the trip cancellation insurance policy.

This might help you:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-condition-lookback-period/

Steve Dasseos

Thank you Steve. So how does it work if you purchase the policy within the 14 day (or whatever) time frame after first deposit and you are are "medically stable" for the lookback period at that time, but then have an event or even just a medication change/adjustment thereafter? But then you are medically stable again by cruise time? This is clear as mud to me.

On 6/11/2024 at 2:56 PM, land64shark said:

Thank you Steve. So how does it work if you purchase the policy within the 14 day (or whatever) time frame after first deposit and you are are "medically stable" for the lookback period at that time, but then have an event or even just a medication change/adjustment thereafter? But then you are medically stable again by cruise time? This is clear as mud to me.

Hi kand64shark,

There is only one Lookback Period which is the number of days prior to the purchase of the policy.

Any new diagnosis or medication change does not create a pre-existing medical condition exclusion because the policy was already in effect.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1