Transportation to Rome

I will be arriving at Civitavecchia at the end of our cruise with Oceania and was wondering how to get to Rome where I already booked a room for th enight. Did anyone take a limo, a taxi? How long does it take and how much does it cost - approximately?

Depending on time of day and day of the week, it can take anywhere from 90 minutes to 2 hours. There is a train, which I don't recommend if you have lots of luggage because it is a pain dragging all that stuff on a commuter train. You can take a taxi, but that will be expensive as will a private car. See if Oceania isn't providing transportation to Rome. If so, book their transfer, even if it doesn't take you to the hotel you've booked. At least it will be cheaper to take a taxi from that location. If you hire a private car, you can expect to pay upwards of $200 or more. Remember, the Euro is very strong against the US dollar and you don't get bargains anywhere in Europe. And for a taxi, if it's a local one, they will charge you a return fee from Rome back to Civitivicchia.

I've noticed on the boards that many people will pool together and hire private transportation from Civitavecchia to Rome (just reading on the Port of Call:Europe board here) so maybe you could find other people on your cruise and share a ride??

There are a few car services that are in the 110-130 euro range for the Civitavecchia to Rome (and the other way). You just need to find the one that works for you, we're using romashuttle for our transfer, they are 110 euros for the 2 of us. Just depends on how luxurious a ride you want.

We will be on the Grand Princess in August and have just arranged a transfer to our hotel in Rome with Romecabs http://www.utenti.lycos.it/romecabs/? for a total of $120 euros. Although there are two of us, we will have four large suitcases and two carryones, so they advised a minivan. If we had less luggage, a car would have been booked at 115 euros. Have a great time on your cruise.

We are on your cruise and have arranged a minivan for four of us to our hotels in Rome. We can get a larger vehicle for six with a per couple price of 50-60euros (plus tip).

If you're interested in sharing, post your email with your response and I'll contact you directly.

I was talking to limoservices who quoted me 145usd which became 145euros because I am Canadian and not American, which then became 196euros with tax and I not sure what else. I just told them I was not interested. Once they confirm that they have canceled my order - they had my credit card number at 145 euros - I will be in touch.

There are 3 of us however, ivakota, would it still be possible to share? If not, I already looked up romecabs and they seem reasonable.

Just one question, do you usually pay the driver??

As it happens, our reservations are also with Romecabs. A vehicle for eight (7) people is 160 euros plus " a small increase" for delivery to different hotels.

That's still cheaper than separate vehicles. If you'd still like to share, email me at ivakota@cox.net and we can finalize our plans and reconfirm with Stefano.

Princess charges $65.00/pp for transfers from Civitavecchia to the Rome airport. We will be spending a few days post cruise at a hotel in the airport. I am hoping to use Princess to transfer us there. Does it matter if you are staying or flying home?

There are a few car services that are in the 110-130 euro range for the Civitavecchia to Rome (and the other way). You just need to find the one that works for you, we're using romashuttle for our transfer, they are 110 euros for the 2 of us. Just depends on how luxurious a ride you want.

We left from Civitavecchia on the Grand last Sept. We spent three days in Rome before departing on the Grand. The taxi / driver we met at the airport who took us to our hotel also arranged for our transfer to the ship. We paid 120 euro for four of us.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived