We are taking our first small ship cruise in May 2025. For past land and river cruises we have always used the tour companies insurance. We had ti file one claim with very positive results. We are traveling with Vantage Explorations which whose parent company bought the customer list of the bankrupt Vantage World Travel. They are giving us credit based on what we lost from the bankrupt company to apply towards their trips. Vantage Explorations is quite expensive, $64380 for 2 cruises, back to back. This includes 18 nights on the ship and 3 hotel nights. The included excursions are quite extensive so happy with that part. I have been looking at different insurance options for us (74 & 76) and they seem super expensive.  Do i need to insure the total $64380 or just the remaining out of pocket amount of $36189? I am not including flight amounts as I will buy refundable tickets or take credits if we have to cancel. It is all so confusing!

22 hours ago, CarolinaKathy said:

We are taking our first small ship cruise in May 2025. For past land and river cruises we have always used the tour companies insurance. We had ti file one claim with very positive results. We are traveling with Vantage Explorations which whose parent company bought the customer list of the bankrupt Vantage World Travel. They are giving us credit based on what we lost from the bankrupt company to apply towards their trips. Vantage Explorations is quite expensive, $64380 for 2 cruises, back to back. This includes 18 nights on the ship and 3 hotel nights. The included excursions are quite extensive so happy with that part. I have been looking at different insurance options for us (74 & 76) and they seem super expensive.  Do i need to insure the total $64380 or just the remaining out of pocket amount of $36189? I am not including flight amounts as I will buy refundable tickets or take credits if we have to cancel. It is all so confusing!

Hi CarolinaKathy,

Insuring Future Cruise or Travel Credits is tricky. All my plans will let you insure your prepaid and non-refundable trip costs when your trip is paid by any combination of Future Travel or Vouchers that you received instead of a cash refund for a trip that was cancelled:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/how-to-insure-a-future-cruise-or-travel-credit/

However, the credits issued from the Vantage World Travel bankruptcy are different because you weren't offered a cash refund. This means that there's no benefit to you to insure the value of the credit. In other words, you may just insure the $36,189 if this is being paid in cash.

I have a question:

In the last 60 days, have either of you, or a traveling companion or a non-traveling family member, had any medication changes or had treatment for, had symptoms of or been diagnosed with any medical condition that could worsen and, in turn, cause you to cancel or interrupt your trip? Or that could cause you to seek treatment on your trip?

Steve Dasseos

11 hours ago, CarolinaKathy said:

My mom is 98 and in assisted living. Nothing new has been diagnosed recently. She is just getting more frail all the time. The rest of my family is in good health.

Hi CarolinaKathy,

It's likely that your mom has something that is defined as a pre-existing medical condition that could affect your trip.

I don't want to get into your personal information on a public forum, so if you want to discuss this further and also find out about your choices for a trip cancellation plan, would you either email me at steve@tripinsurancestore.com or call us on 1-888-407-3854 or 1-816-282-6858?

Steve Dasseos