Alaska Cruise - kids on board

BRDLY99

Hello all! For those who have been on a Princess Alaskan cruise this year, I’m curious if you have seen a lot of kids. More than usual/ about the same? I know Alaska is becoming more popular with families. We are going on the Grand on July so I’m just trying to gage the crowd. 

thank you!!

19 minutes ago, BRDLY99 said:

Hello all! For those who have been on a Princess Alaskan cruise this year, I’m curious if you have seen a lot of kids. More than usual/ about the same? I know Alaska is becoming more popular with families. We are going on the Grand on July so I’m just trying to gage the crowd. 

thank you!!

While I haven’t been to Alaska yet for this year, we do cruise up there about twice a year.  All cruises from June through August will have a lot of kids onboard and they drop off in May and Sept.  Seven day cruises will have a lot of kids, whereas the 10-11 day cruises usually have fewer children and 14 days and more will have even less.  

We were on the Sapphire last week.  There were a lot of kids and young people in general compared to other cruises we've been on.  We don't have young kids so I can't tell you how many there were in the kids programs etc, but I can tell you any time we walked through the covered pool area it was full of kids and families having a good time 🙂 We saw many young families with strollers around the ship too.  We had a quiet aft cabin and didn't hear much from our location, but several times walking down the hall coming and going we heard crying kids in rooms.

We went to the Captain's party (he wasn't there due to 2 simultaneous passenger medical emergencies) but I jotted down the numbers announced.  There were 2,714 total passengers, and 2,084 were new to Princess.  There were only 91 Elites and 122 Platinum.  It seemed to us in general there were a lot of families onboard.  

Overall we had a great cruise.  We did an 8-day land tour prior to the southbound 7 night cruise.  The ship was in good condition and we had very calm seas.  The crew was pleasant and we enjoyed the food.  Libby Riddles came onboard and gave a presentation and our naturalist Sandy did a great job.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, Alaska is a huge family vacation draw for summer cruises. From June through August there will lots of kids onboard from toddlers to teens. Princess offers a wonderful program for the kids onboard and it’s a fantastic family vacation. There will likely be anywhere from 300 - 500 kids below 18 on summer Alaska cruises in our experience of many trips over the past 20 years while our kids were growing up. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We were on the Sapphire last week.  There were a lot of kids and young people in general compared to other cruises we've been on.  We don't have young kids so I can't tell you how many there were in the kids programs etc, but I can tell you any time we walked through the covered pool area it was full of kids and families having a good time 🙂 We saw many young families with strollers around the ship too.  We had a quiet aft cabin and didn't hear much from our location, but several times walking down the hall coming and going we heard crying kids in rooms.

We went to the Captain's party (he wasn't there due to 2 simultaneous passenger medical emergencies) but I jotted down the numbers announced.  There were 2,714 total passengers, and 2,084 were new to Princess.  There were only 91 Elites and 122 Platinum.  It seemed to us in general there were a lot of families onboard.  

Overall we had a great cruise.  We did an 8-day land tour prior to the southbound 7 night cruise.  The ship was in good condition and we had very calm seas.  The crew was pleasant and we enjoyed the food.  Libby Riddles came onboard and gave a presentation and our naturalist Sandy did a great job.  

Do you know what the cutoff was for MTP luncheon?

36 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Do you know what the cutoff was for MTP luncheon?

We had friends that recently went on a B2B on the Sapphire and they mentioned they have slightly over 400 days and were invited to both MTP luncheons.  
We have yet to be invited to one on an Alaskan sailing because we tend to cruise out of San Francisco, which is our home port.  We see the same people as the most travelled passengers on those sailings.  The ones out of Vancouver and possibly Seattle, I think you can sometimes get in with just over 400 days to the MTP luncheon.  

• Like 1