Willdra’s Valiant Venezia Review

It was challenging to do my normal walking while taking pictures, cuz I was following a lady in our group who was walking with trekking poles. I was shocked that they allowed them in the museum since there is no uneven terrain to navigate, but also, she practically dragged them the whole time. No clue was given when people kept bumping them either. She would just glance at them, like it was their fault, and keep dragging the poles. Oblivious. I have some trekking poles, cuz we hike with A and Z from time to time, and some hikes like Blood Mountain, and even Kennesaw are a lot easier on these old knees when I use the poles. However, I would never bring them into a museum and drag them behind me thus creating a huge tripping hazard for everyone else. Because why?

IMG_8001-L.jpg

IMG_8002-L.jpg

IMG_8092-L.jpg

IMG_8172-L.jpg

IMG_8177-L.jpg

IMG_8178-L.jpg

IMG_8180-L.jpg

IMG_8182-L.jpg

IMG_8183-L.jpg

IMG_8185-L.jpg

IMG_8188-L.jpg

IMG_8189-L.jpg

IMG_8198-L.jpg

IMG_8204-L.jpg

IMG_8207-L.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Our tour ended at 1. When we were released, we quickly went back thru to some of the parts of the museum that we missed, that I really wanted to see.

IMG_8214-L.jpg

IMG_8217-L.jpg

IMG_8220-L.jpg

IMG_8223-L.jpg

IMG_8227-L.jpg

IMG_8228-L.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

After we got the pics we wanted, we left to go thru Central Park. This is when it started to rain. The forecast said it would be over around 5:30-6 but looking at the radar, I could tell it would last much longer than that. I was born in Pensacola, Fl and I lived there a long time. I grew up watching The Weather Channel like it was a show. My mom (may she rest in peace until I get to heaven with her to spin the block) LOVED Jim Cantori. She watched him every chance she got. So if I don’t anything else, I know not to just trust the forecast.

We cut through the park and took wet pictures at a fountain.

IMG_8282-L.jpg

IMG_8283-L.jpg

IMG_8289-L.jpg

IMG_8291-L.jpg

IMG_8293-L.jpg

IMG_8297-L.jpg

IMG_8301-L.jpg

IMG_8302-L.jpg

IMG_8304-L.jpg

IMG_8309-L.jpg

IMG_8313-L.jpg

IMG_8324-L.jpg

• Like 23

Next we walked out and jumped on the train to go back to the hotel, which was out of the way, and not a part of the plan. W needed to go back to get his knee brace. Surprise surprise.

This time we noticed several people bringing bikes on the trains. They must’ve ridden in that bikeathon that we saw earlier, and were a long way from home. When we got off the carriage of inconvenience, I ran into Starbucks to buy a mug. They have the contactless entry there. To enter the side with the merch, you have to either scan a credit/debit card or code in the Amazon app (not Starbucks?). The gates open, then you choose what you want and just leave. They bill you automatically for whatever you purchase. I like to get the “You were there” mugs when I go to a new spot. They didn’t have that one, but I found a cute Times Square one that I will most likely give to A. W went on to the hotel which was just a block away.

IMG_8329-L.jpg

IMG_8334-L.jpg

IMG_8338-L.jpg

IMG_8340-L.jpg

• Like 14

I met up with W at the hotel, dropped off some stuff, then we went to get a train to the 911 Museum and Memorial. We would use the last CityPass for that. It was raining kinda steadily at that time. With the CityPass, we had to go to the ticket counter first and have the CityPass converted to actual museum tickets. I had to give the guy my phone by pushing it thru the slot. He scanned the passes, then gave me my phone and tickets. That was weird.

We toured the museum quietly. I got the headset for $10 to hear the audio. Trigger warning if you go. It’s really sad. We stayed maybe an hour and a half taking our time to read and reflect and pay our respects.

IMG_8347-L.jpg

IMG_8353-L.jpg

IMG_8788-L.jpg

IMG_8791-L.jpg

IMG_8792-L.jpg

IMG_8793-L.jpg

IMG_8796-L.jpg

IMG_8798-L.jpg

IMG_8774-L.jpg

IMG_8775-L.jpg

IMG_8779-L.jpg

IMG_8780-L.jpg

IMG_8781-L.jpg

IMG_8786-L.jpg

IMG_8360-L.jpg

• Like 25

Next on the agenda was to see the famous bull at the New York Stock Exchange, on our way to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Yep we were doing alladat! In the rain. W mapped out our route and we set out. There was always somebody yelling randomly. There was always someone talking to themselves. Somebody was smelling atrocious. We didn’t even pause or look up anymore. We were getting used to it. Wait. What? How?

We walked down Wall St. and found the bull. It was crowded which I expected. I crossed the street, climbed on a rock, and waited until there was a break in the action. I just paused until I could get a clean shot or at least one that I could crop. I didn’t have to be in the picture, I was fine with just taking it people free. W sat down and rested while I took my picture. When I came back across the street, he said he heard a car horn honking and he thought they were honking at me. Not this time. I wasn’t in the street. It was nuts how many people were over there right then tho. In the rain. Did I mention it was raining?

IMG_8366-L.jpg

IMG_8389-L.jpg

IMG_8390-L.jpg

IMG_8396-L.jpg

IMG_8398-L.jpg

• Like 15

I was happy with my picture, so we went to the Brooklyn Bridge next. W begged to go sit and eat first.  Again, his vote is silent, so I said “Nope. We are doing this now”. So we did it. It was one of the coolest things I’ve done in a long time and I’m glad we did it. W was doing his normal slow stroll, I practically ran across. I looked back and I didn’t see him when I got to the “top”. At first I was gonna keep going then I thought “What if something happened to him? That’s not a good look for the insurance company, I better make sure he’s ok”. So I stopped and waited until I saw him then I took a few pictures and waited for him to catch up.

This is when I noticed there are lots of locks up there, so I told W we should’ve brought a lock. Then W pointed out the no locks sign and the $100 fine sign. Turns out I won’t be bringing a lock to put up there next time! Walking slow has it’s advantages.

IMG_8401-L.jpg

IMG_8402-L.jpg

IMG_8403-L.jpg

IMG_8404-L.jpg

IMG_8408-L.jpg

IMG_8409-L.jpg

IMG_8419-L.jpg

IMG_8421-L.jpg

IMG_8423-L.jpg

IMG_8426-L.jpg

IMG_8427-L.jpg

IMG_8429-L.jpg

IMG_8431-L.jpg

IMG_8432-L.jpg

IMG_8433-L.jpg

IMG_8434-L.jpg

IMG_8437-L.jpg

IMG_8443-L.jpg

IMG_8438-L.jpg

IMG_8440-L.jpg

IMG_8442-L.jpg

IMG_8447-L.jpg

IMG_8450-L.jpg

IMG_8452-L.jpg

IMG_8453-L.jpg

IMG_8454-L.jpg

IMG_8456-L.jpg

IMG_8458-L.jpg

IMG_8467-L.jpg

IMG_8468-L.jpg

IMG_8472-L.jpg

IMG_8474-L.jpg

IMG_8477-L.jpg

IMG_8480-L.jpg

IMG_8478-L.jpg

IMG_8484-L.jpg

IMG_8486-L.jpg

IMG_8489-L.jpg

IMG_8490-L.jpg

IMG_8491-L.jpg

IMG_8493-L.jpg

IMG_8495-L.jpg

• Like 20

After we walked across, there was nowhere else to go but DUMBO. So that’s where we went. I’d promised W somewhere on the bridge that we would go eat as soon as we made it to the bottom so I had to deliver. I found a pizza restaurant on Google Maps called Juliana’s in DUMBO and we walked there. We passed another pizza restaurant that looked good too, so we were contemplating going there instead. However, as soon as we got to Juliana’s door, it flung open and a waiter came out and told us to come on in and sit where we wanted. Oh ok. Guess we are eating here then.

We chose a table for two by the wall. W ordered some sort of beer, and I ordered a Bellini. Margherita Pizza with extra cheese was our pie of choice. As I sat there, I realized I was really damp in places that I didn’t even know were getting wet, while we were walking all day. Mother Nature was putting the paws on us y’all. No mercy.

The food came out about 10 min after we ordered, and everything was excellent.

IMG_8513-L.jpg

IMG_8505-L.jpg

IMG_8504-L.jpg

IMG_8500-L.jpg

• Like 23

When we were done I went to potty, then we walked to the York Street Station, and caught the subway. W said he couldn’t possibly walk all the way back across the bridge. I was ok with that. It was still raining.

On the way back, we passed a huge cherub baby head on this corner. Now ION know about y’all but every fiber of my being was screaming “Danger Danger Warning Will Robinson!” but W as always just strolled right on by like he saw absolutely nothing out of order. He will 100% not be on my team when the zombie apocalypse breaks out. Bruh.

IMG_8518-L.jpg

IMG_8520-L.jpg

IMG_8521-L.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 20

The train was crowded this time and louder than usual. There were lots of activities going on. Since we had more company, I almost forgot my “mind your own business and make no eye contact” rule for a second. This guy dropped some coins and another guy said “you dropped something”. So the guy picked up his money but he left a dime, then the other guy said “you forgot a dime”. The guy couldn’t see the dime, so I said “it’s right there” and I pointed at it. He found it, picked it up, then he looked at me, smiled a toothless, halitosis and gingivitis filled smile, and said “I like your hair”. Ew. I managed a “Oh ok thanks”. That jolted me right back to mind your own business land where I belonged. I immediately went back to looking at my feet, and wishing those stops would hurry up and say 42nd Street!

Eventually our stop came and we got off of the train. We still needed to get W’s Diet Coke and my wine for the ship. W said there was a Target that we passed the day before. I didn’t see it, so I was no help on that one. He looked it up and we walked down there. He thought we were walking when he saw it on Saturday, but just like I said, it had to be when we were in the taxi, which it was. I absolutely would’ve remembered a Target. When I spotted it, I said “oh I know why I didn’t see it that was when we were in the taxi and I was taking pictures of the Aladdin Broadway Play signs which is across the street.”

We popped in the Target and they didn’t have wine. W got his soda, and I got some miscellaneous stuff. We stopped by a bodega on the way back, but I didn’t like what they had.

IMG_8525-L.jpg

IMG_8526-L.jpg

IMG_8528-L.jpg

IMG_8530-L.jpg

IMG_8533-L.jpg

IMG_8538-338x450.jpg

• Like 17

Wow you guys certainly packed a lot into today!  You must be exhausted!  But it's soooo much fun tagging along with you  -  thanks for this amazing virtual experience - loving it 😍

• Like 7

When we got to the hotel, we did a better search and found a liquor store that was open until midnight, and it was like .25 mile away. We dropped everything off and walked over there. It was out of the hotel and to the left, we wouldn’t have seen it before cuz we’d never walked in that direction.

So another quick question New York. Why does it smell like the devil’s lettuce everywhere? Y’all be outchea smoking smoking all the time. Morning noon and night. Y’all got that gas here for reals. Whew.

We made it to the liquor store in about 6 minutes. It was just around the block. The prices were good and the service was also. We told the guy we were headed on a cruise and he was super nice recommending wines for me to try. If you are staying in this area, go visit 39th Wines & Spirits for your cruise wine. They had a great selection and prices.

I was happy that we kept looking and found the wine cuz I almost told W to forget it. We went back and regrouped in the hotel afterwards.

On the way back we saw some guys digging in the trash. I mean going all the way in, waste deep. Every time some trash was placed on the street, these guys would jump up and get in it. I immediately had questions. Do they work there? What’s in the trash that’s so valuable? Should we be concerned? Should we also be digging in the trash? Is there something that we're missing out on? Did they find what they were looking for? The street people in NYC dig in the trash like it’s their occupation. The hotel staff could barely get it out there before they were attacking the bags. 

Before I fell asleep I said a prayer thanking God that I never had to use a chamber pot. That seems like it was some crazy work that I wouldn’t want any parts of. Especially if it couldn’t be taken out right away. 

IMG_8543-L.jpg

• Like 21

Posted (edited)

This is awesome!  Thank you so much for your reviews!!  I grew up in Georgia, and I would be like the "country mouse goes to the city" if I went to New York!  Like you, I'd have so many questions!!  Like at the Pizza place, there was a pizza called "Grandma Pizza"?  Whaaaaa?  Googling now!!

Edited by wrcjr98
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, willdra said:

So another quick question New York. Why does it smell like the devil’s lettuce everywhere? Y’all be outchea smoking smoking all the time. Morning noon and night. Y’all got that gas here for reals. Whew.

This was our experience in Washington, DC, too. All day long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Although it might have been more fun to cross the Brooklyn Bridge in good weather, the rain certainly made for some wonderful photos with the reflections. There were several that made me stop and think Wow.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, willdra said:

The street people in NYC dig in the trash like it’s their occupation.

It is their occupation. Turf wars and all. 

And glad to hear that you didn't buy wine at a bodega, because what they sell is "wine product" you can ONLY buy wine in NY at a liquor store or wine shop. You can also buy little Fireball shots at the bodega but they are half proof of the real stuff #workarounds. 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2024 at 11:41 PM, pirate4me2 said:

Whoo hoo, perfect way to help me deal with my PCB (post cruise blues)! I’m here for the journey!

Thanks for joining me! ♥️♥️ Looking back at these pictures is making me really miss this cruise!😍🛳️😍🛳️😍

• Like 1

I am loving this review, and you are helping me plan for our August cruise on the Venezia. I love how you are making the most of your time in NYC. Cant' wait to see what Lucy and Ethel get up to next!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2024 at 12:03 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Hooked me, I am along for the ride.  We do have to work on that pizza thing tho......

Thanks for joining me again! I wish I could say we made better choices. We did the opposite of that. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/16/2024 at 12:47 AM, ninjacat123 said:

We saw Moulin Rouge here in Charlotte!! Great show!!

Yes!!!!! Loved it! It was a good “beginner” Broadway Show too. It was easy to follow and fun to watch. 10 out of 10! 😃😄

• Like 2

On 6/16/2024 at 5:35 AM, LouChamp said:

Aloha. Enjoying your review and your refreshing style of writing!  Blessed to be born and raised in Manhattan and now divide our time between NY and Hawaii. I feel like we are vacationing with you. Enjoy

Thank you 🙏🏾!! Going between NY and Hawaii must be amazing 🤩!!!! 

• Thanks 1