Bora Bora

We are booked on the Nirwegian Sun to go from Fiji to Tahiti on May2nd. 2025. One of the ports is Bora Bora. This port has passenger number restrictions at the moment and the Sun carries more than the allowed passengers. My question is, Has anyone been to Bora Bora on a Norwegian ship since 2022. and if so did you land or was it cancelled at the last minute? I see that the Sun is booked in to anchor there quite a few times next year. I'm a bit suspisious of an upcomming itinerary change once final payment has been made. Bora Bora is the main attraction for us on this cruise. If anyone can give me any information, I would certainly appreciate it. NCL have been useless. I have rang and asked them a few times now and all I get is that you will have to shore by tender. I already know this but the rep. just couldn't grasp what I was asking. Or maybe she did and just pretended to be stupid.

Posted (edited)

May 7, 2025 ?

It depends when the new policy was decided. If NCL already had ships going there I think it should be okay. The new restrictions usually apply to ships/cruises arranged after that date. If there was already an agreement for the Sun to visit at Bora Bora during May, 2025, I think the island will honor that (or not)

Edited by sailingships

5 hours ago, david the pirate said:

. .  . Bora Bora is the main attraction for us on this cruise. If anyone can give me any information, I would certainly appreciate it. 

If this destination is important to you, perhaps it would be worthwhile to investigate visiting French Polynesia land vacation only. 

It's been a long time since we visited there, but we deliberately chose to plan a land vacation.  We used exclusively IHG hotels-- on Papeete for a few nights, and then about two weeks in a beach bungalow at Bora Bora Le Moana.  During those two weeks on Bora Bora, we met many passengers cruising on Paul Gauguin.  It seemed there was never enough time in port, according to them.

The destination was important to us, so it might be wise to look into other options besides a cruise

• Like 1

We’re sailing  the Sun Fiji to Tahiti Sept 2025. I was looking at independent excursions for ports and came across the limitations on Bora Bora on  CC Ports of Call, Pacific islands. I did read from newspaper reports that it had been passed by the government but then reversed it. Of course I can’t find the link now🙄

If they don’t change the itinerary, which NCL have done on us 3 times on other cruises, maybe they will limit amount of passengers going ashore? Perhaps only people on ship excursions allowed off? Wouldn’t put that passed them$$$$$$. If they change it it will probably be after the balance due date, I guess.

This itinerary was a complete bucket list ticker for us, so if Bora Bora cancelled, we’ll be disappointed but it won’t be the end of the world. There are plenty of other stunning islands on the itinerary but if it’s a deal breaker for you, I wouldn’t trust any cruise line, Mother Nature can be a 🤬, you just never know.

6 hours ago, Goldenknight said:

If this destination is important to you, perhaps it would be worthwhile to investigate visiting French Polynesia land vacation only. 

It's been a long time since we visited there, but we deliberately chose to plan a land vacation.  We used exclusively IHG hotels-- on Papeete for a few nights, and then about two weeks in a beach bungalow at Bora Bora Le Moana.  During those two weeks on Bora Bora, we met many passengers cruising on Paul Gauguin.  It seemed there was never enough time in port, according to them.

The destination was important to us, so it might be wise to look into other options besides a cruise

We sailed PG on a 11 night.  Absolutely fabulous to have a ship with 300 people, knowledgeable locals, two private islands.  Never felt port times were short.