Staying at n San Jaun

Melissa1988

So, my husband and I are staying the night 2 nights before our cruise leaves. Boarding is at 6 am and we still have to go through customs and all that. So, for those that have stayed in San Juan prior to boarding the boat, what time did you leave where you stayed? If you stayed at an airbnb, were there cabs around you can trust to take you to the dock? Or was it easier to stay right next to the dock and get a taxi to go and explore the town and come back? Just trying to make sure we navigate safely and get to our boat on time day of departure. Thank you in advanced!!!

3 hours ago, Melissa1988 said:

So, my husband and I are staying the night 2 nights before our cruise leaves. Boarding is at 6 am and we still have to go through customs and all that. So, for those that have stayed in San Juan prior to boarding the boat, what time did you leave where you stayed? If you stayed at an airbnb, were there cabs around you can trust to take you to the dock? Or was it easier to stay right next to the dock and get a taxi to go and explore the town and come back? Just trying to make sure we navigate safely and get to our boat on time day of departure. Thank you in advanced!!!

I assume 6 am is a typo and you meant 6 pm. Also, you need to make sure that's your boarding time and not the time the ship is scheduled to sail. If it's a 6 pm sail away you'll have to be at the pier no later than 90 minutes to 2 hours prior to that...the exact timing is set by your cruise line. One final bit of housekeeping...you don't go through customs when board the ship, you check in and receive your room keys and any other materials the cruise line may provide.

Don't expect taxis to be waiting and available at an Airbnb. At hotels...yes, but not at an Airbnb. I'd suggest you use Uber. 

San Juan is a fairly big city even though the Old San Juan section familiar to many tourists is compact. Your travel time to your cruise terminal will be very dependent on where you're staying, so without knowing that it's impossible to give advice.

There are two cruise terminals, Old San Juan and Pan American, with most departures taking place at Pan American and most port calls at Old San Juan. Check with your cruise line to find out where your ship is boarding.