Filipstad Quay to Vigeland Park

Hello,

We will be in Oslo in early July for 1 day and would like to visit Vigeland Sculpture park.  The ship will be docked at Filipstad Quay.  What is the easiest way to get there, please?  Is it by tram #12?  What is the nearest tram stop to Filipstad Quay?

Alternatively, approximately how much would Uber be?

Thank you.

7 hours ago, ColoradoCruiser88 said:

Hello,

We will be in Oslo in early July for 1 day and would like to visit Vigeland Sculpture park.  The ship will be docked at Filipstad Quay.  What is the easiest way to get there, please?  Is it by tram #12?  What is the nearest tram stop to Filipstad Quay?

Alternatively, approximately how much would Uber be?

Thank you.

Having just been in Oslo take bus 81 to meet up with tram 12. Sorry, I deleted the Ruter App so I can’t tell you exactly where to switch. But the app is great, you can buy your ticket on it and it when you give it the journey you want to do it shows you exactly where to walk to make the transfers. The tram stop for Vigeland Park is Vigelandparken and it is right at the entrance. 

6 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Having just been in Oslo take bus 81 to meet up with tram 12. Sorry, I deleted the Ruter App so I can’t tell you exactly where to switch. But the app is great, you can buy your ticket on it and it when you give it the journey you want to do it shows you exactly where to walk to make the transfers. The tram stop for Vigeland Park is Vigelandparken and it is right at the entrance

@gnome12 Thank you for the response.  I’m guessing that since you mention taking the bus 81 to meet up with tram 12, the tram stop must be some distance from the pier?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ColoradoCruiser88 said:

@gnome12 Thank you for the response.  I’m guessing that since you mention taking the bus 81 to meet up with tram 12, the tram stop must be some distance from the pier?

Yes, and awkward to get to. 
I went for a walk the day before boarding, and I saw the ship but couldn’t quite figure out how to get there. So I took the bus (I had been in Oslo for a few days so had a multi-day transit ticket) and it was quite a roundabout route from where I had walked to. I don’t think there would be a good pedestrian route to Aker Brygge which would probably be closest. 

Edited by gnome12

It’s about a 15-20 minute walk to the nearest tram stop at Ruseløkka. It’s a fairly straightforward route as there’s not much in the port area, so you’d just be following the bulk of the pedestrian traffic coming off the ship and heading towards the city. Then at the roundabout you head northeast on Huitfeldts gate until you reach Cory Adelers gate and turn right.

The 81 bus runs every 10 minutes on weekdays, but it skips the Filipstadveien stop during rush hour (7:15-9:45, 17:30-18:15). On weekends it runs every 10-30 minutes depending on the time of day. You can find the timetable here. It will take you to Dokkveien, which is five minutes walk from Ruseløkka (or the Aker Brygge stop if you walk south instead).

The Ruter app has realtime departure info, so I’d check whether the 81 bus was coming soon, and then choose to walk if the wait is too long.

When we visited a few years ago, we walked from Filipstad quay to Frognerpark. It was a nice day, a pleasant walk through residential streets. Printed off a map, and as we got nearer, we were able to follow the tram rails on the road! There were public toilets at the entrance to the park, needed cash then ( maybe different now) but they took euros and dollars as well as Norwegian Kroner.

Our experience wasn’t as good as it could have been as there was a lot of scaffolding around the central sculptures, and quite a lot of large and noisy tour groups. I did see one American complaining on a forum that the sculptures were of nude people, so be aware!

38 minutes ago, Ergates The Ant said:

When we visited a few years ago, we walked from Filipstad quay to Frognerpark. It was a nice day, a pleasant walk through residential streets. Printed off a map, and as we got nearer, we were able to follow the tram rails on the road! There were public toilets at the entrance to the park, needed cash then ( maybe different now) but they took euros and dollars as well as Norwegian Kroner.

Our experience wasn’t as good as it could have been as there was a lot of scaffolding around the central sculptures, and quite a lot of large and noisy tour groups. I did see one American complaining on a forum that the sculptures were of nude people, so be aware!

I was at Frogner Park just last week. The toilets take kroner, €, and $, and I think £. They now take credit cards as well, as I had no cash with me at all. No scaffolding to be seen at all. I wasn’t bothered by any noisy groups, although there were a lot of people.