extra coverage needed?

Hi,

I have seen variations of this topic, but wanted to ask a specific question.

My cruise is paid for with the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which has trip interruption, delay, cancellation, baggage, in sufficient amounts to cover the trip.  My medical insurance provider covers me for emergency and urgent care anywhere in the world.  I pay upfront and file for reimbursement.  An ambulance is covered, but it isn't clear whether medical evacuation would be covered.

Given this coverage, do I need a separate travel insurance plan?  I am thinking to just get medical evacuation coverage, as this feels like the only gap.

Has anyone else had this same scenario?  

Thanks!

As indicated in your other post on a different thread, I choose to purchase a good travel insurance policy that better fits my needs rather than rely on my BC/BS policy for international coverage. There were just too many limitations on my BC/BS policy.

This is where a good broker may come into play. Travel insurance in the US is regulated by each State. One state may allow coverage on something while another may not. My state allows me to do the following:

Instead of buying travel insurance where my "real" trip cost is $5K per person, I purchase a plan where I declare my trip cost is $500 per person. I don't care about cancellation/Trip Delay/ Trip Interruption/etc. What I do care about is Medical. I still get the $100K or $250K in medical and evac coverage but with substantial cost savings.

Plus, since the price of the policy is the same whether I indicate trip cost is $1 or $500 per person, I still do have the benefit of Trip Delay at 150% of trip cost should my return flight get delayed and I need a hotel room for a night or two plus meals.

• Like 1