MSC Cruise boarding question - Northern Europe

Jgarriso

Planning a cruise mid March of 25 boarding at South Hampton.    We will be coming from London that day and i was wandering about the boarding procedures.   Specifically is it reasonable to board,  get checked into room, do the muster and then go back out and walk about before the back on-board call?   or should we plan on getting on board as late as possible to enjoy the area as much as possible prior to boarding? (I hope this question makes sense?)

second questions,   we are looking at inside room on the PREZIOSA what floor is the best to stay in.   quite but close enough to reach activities via stairs if elevator is busy?

Posted (edited)

A couple of hints here.  These cruises board new passengers at each port on the itinerary.  Therefore choice of cabins will be limited.  Insides are okay, as long as you don’t get the junior insides in the section aft of the midship elevators.  
   May I make a suggestion.  It is possible that you will only be able to book a gty cabin for inside or OV.  Look at the number of each type cabin.  
Inside 405

OV 116

Balcony 1133

The strategy that has worked for me on the Seaside class ships is to book an OV gty, which I would be happy with…but each time have been assigned a balcony.  
if you book an inside gty, you may end up in one of the junior cabins…I’ve had one on Divina and they are small.  Okay for a 3 day cruise.  Maybe a balcony is t important in March in Northern Europe, but the increased space in the cabin may be.  Even being assigned a junior balcony is better than the tiny insides.  Cruisedeckplans.com is a good reference for researching cabins.  EM

Forgot to add pictures

IMG_3535.jpeg

IMG_3536.jpeg

Edited by Essiesmom

Posted (edited)

Southampton cruise terminal is in an industrial port area.  Once onboard just enjoy the ship !

Decks 9 thru 12 have cabins above and below them, so would be preferred.

Edited by notley-cruise

Typically the Southampton cruises don't board people at different ports, unlike the Mediterranean. That means they don't let you back off once you're on board. 

There's not too much to see in Southampton itself, at least in proximity to the cruise terminal. You're best taking a transfer tour that will take you to Stonehenge and Salisbury on the way down (try for Avebury too if you can - far more enjoyable than Stonehenge). 

On cabin, would echo the recommendation to book one with cabins above and below, and aim for midships. Beyond that, they're all the same, as long as you avoid one next to a service area (white space on the deckplans).

• Like 1

I haven't boarded MSC at Southampton, but I've stopped there on MSC.  We did a walking tour and it is possible to walk or take a cab into town, although it's a bit of a walk (I was on a walking tour.)  So yes, I believe it may be possible.  Do bear in mind that your room might not be ready.  So it may or may not be available so you can leave your carry-on there.  A lot of it depends on when you get on the ship.

I personally wouldn't mess with it.  If you want to see Southampton, I'd suggest getting there a day early and doing a walking tour.

20 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Typically the Southampton cruises don't board people at different ports, unlike the Mediterranean. That means they don't let you back off once you're on board. 

There's not too much to see in Southampton itself, at least in proximity to the cruise terminal. You're best taking a transfer tour that will take you to Stonehenge and Salisbury on the way down (try for Avebury too if you can - far more enjoyable than Stonehenge). 

On cabin, would echo the recommendation to book one with cabins above and below, and aim for midships. Beyond that, they're all the same, as long as you avoid one next to a service area (white space on the deckplans).

May be, but I looked up this cruise and it does board in every port.  EM

On 6/23/2024 at 7:18 PM, Huntingdon1701 said:

It depends, if it's listed as a 'Cruise from UK' everyone boards in Southampton and onboard currency is British pounds.  Typically itinerary is round trip to Canary Isles.

If it's a Northern Europe cruise, then onboard currency is Euros and passengers disembark and embark at all ports.