Travelling on Discovery Princess..

Travelling at the end of September on a 7 days to LAX out of Vancouver BC with the 1st top is Victoria BC follow by San Francisco and San Diego.. Where will I be pre-clearing or going through Customs?

Very confusing.., can't get a straight answer on-line

Thank you.

Jp

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Acomet1 said:

Travelling at the end of September on a 7 days to LAX out of Vancouver BC with the 1st top is Victoria BC follow by San Francisco and San Diego.. Where will I be pre-clearing or going through Customs?

Very confusing.., can't get a straight answer on-line

Thank you.

Jp

While the test forum isn't an ideal place for this, blind luck your post popped on a Search and I can answer you!

Every single cruise that hits another Canadian port after leaving Vancouver cannot get prescreened by CBP here - it's not legal, the legislation that covers it requires that anyone prescreened enters the US with no stops after the preclearance (technically the southbound Amtrak does stop at the border, but not at a platform, just for extra security checks of underneath and onboard the train by CBP even though all pax have already been cleared to board it in Vancouver)

In theory, the CBP agents stationed in Victoria could prescreen a vessel - but their staffing levels are set for the Clipper and Black Ball ferries, both tiny compared to even a modest cruise ship, so there's no way in heck the massive Discovery Princess is getting handled by that tiny crew! We've done several coastals with stops in Vic, all on ~2500-3000pax vessels, never had a preclearance in Vic.

Your contact with US CBP will therefore happen at your first US port, which sounds like San Francisco - if that's correct rather than just an example you listed, do not book anything nonrefundable for your morning in SF, it's a notoriously slow Port of Entry. We disembarked Golden Princess, around half the size of yours, and it took 3 hours for the last folks to get cleared!

Since then things like facial recognition have become normal, so hopefully your experience will be quicker!!!

Edited by martincath

The issue will be Immigration, not Customs. There is a difference, and Customs isn't much of a thing anymore.

Its likely, when you board in Vancouver, the cruise line will do a biometric check, and while there may be a slight delay in SF, it will be relatively painless.

16 minutes ago, Acomet1 said:

So will not be going through Custom in Lax?

Ty

Jp

Most likely not. And, again,  the issue is Immigration, checking your legal ability to enter the US. Not Customs,  which is about what you are bringing into the country.

Ty... again.

The ship gets in at 06:30am, trying to figure out what is the procedure at The Port before I can get a Cab and be on my way to LAX Airport with a departure at 10:50am ( Am I going to make it....? )

Jp