Tokyo Disneyland and Disney SEA

PandaBear62

My husband and I are taking the longest cruise we've ever done. 29 Day Southeast Asia, Japan and Alaska Grand Adventure. This is way longer than my husband likes to vacation and he doesn't really have a lot of interest in going to Japan or Southeast Asia.....he's doing this for me. He definitely enjoys cruising but this will be a very different trip for him (and me, as well)

Having said that, he's a DIsney fan and I would love to be able to take him to Hong Kong Disney and Tokyo Disneyland and/or Disney SEA.

I'm not worried about Hong Kong timing, as we are staying over night.  I'm assuming we can taxi there, return late and then do a different tour the next day.

However, in Tokyo, we arrive at 6:30am and depart at 4. I'm pretty confident that we could taxi there, but would have very little time, as it opens at 8 or 9am.We'd basically ride a few rides, walk around and need to leave by 2 (I think it's a half hour but would want to be careful of timing)

Regardless of price, is this even realistically do-able? Has anyone done it? How hard is it to get around Tokyo?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

2 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

My husband and I are taking the longest cruise we've ever done. 29 Day Southeast Asia, Japan and Alaska Grand Adventure. This is way longer than my husband likes to vacation and he doesn't really have a lot of interest in going to Japan or Southeast Asia.....he's doing this for me. He definitely enjoys cruising but this will be a very different trip for him (and me, as well)

Having said that, he's a DIsney fan and I would love to be able to take him to Hong Kong Disney and Tokyo Disneyland and/or Disney SEA.

I'm not worried about Hong Kong timing, as we are staying over night.  I'm assuming we can taxi there, return late and then do a different tour the next day.

However, in Tokyo, we arrive at 6:30am and depart at 4. I'm pretty confident that we could taxi there, but would have very little time, as it opens at 8 or 9am.We'd basically ride a few rides, walk around and need to leave by 2 (I think it's a half hour but would want to be careful of timing)

Regardless of price, is this even realistically do-able? Has anyone done it? How hard is it to get around Tokyo?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

I would answer your question with a few questions.  Where is your ship docking (i.e. Yokohama, Tokyo, etc)?  Will it be your first port in Japan or will you be in another Japanese port a day or two earlier.  I ask this, because the procedures for entering Japan (unless coming directly from another Japanese port) involved a face-to-face with Japanese officials.  This procedure can add a lot of time to the procedure to get off your ship.

Hank

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I would answer your question with a few questions.  Where is your ship docking (i.e. Yokohama, Tokyo, etc)?  Will it be your first port in Japan or will you be in another Japanese port a day or two earlier.  I ask this, because the procedures for entering Japan (unless coming directly from another Japanese port) involved a face-to-face with Japanese officials.  This procedure can add a lot of time to the procedure to get off your ship.

Hank

Yokohama for Tokyo is the first port. p\Passengers will be disembarking (not too many I guess) and others are boarding. 

Obviously, it it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I was just hoping to do this for my very sweet husband. Worst case, we'll at least get to Hong Kong Disneyland.

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hank,

I think I am also on the same cruise - Discovery Princess. Yokohama Daikoku Pier Cruise Terminal will be the port of entry. Depart to Shimizu at 4pm. Regarding Hong Kong Disney, locates in Lantau Island, near the HKG airport, so a 45 min by taxi or 65 min by metro from cruise terminal.

2 minutes ago, PandaBear62 said:

Yokohama for Tokyo is the first port. p\Passengers will be disembarking (not too many I guess) and others are boarding. 

Obviously, it it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I was just hoping to do this for my very sweet husband. Worst case, we'll at least get to Hong Kong Disneyland.

Take a 7 hr flight from Singapore to Japan HND layover 2-3 days for Tokyo Disney, then back to U.S. I planned not to take a non-stop 16 hours flight from Singapore back to Canada, I will layover 1-2 days in Osaka. .

If it is the port of entry, that adds significant time to being off the ship and on your way.  Our experience with the Japanese authorities is that the amount of time is not predictable and could vary from a half hour to at least 2 hours. Things will hopefully move pretty fast since the Japanese are going to be aware that many folks need to catch flights.   But, for arguments sake. assume you can be on your way by 8:30 or 9.  If you are willing to pay the money for a taxi, I would guess the ride to Disney would be about 40 minutes.  Not sure of the fare, but you could be looking at something in the $120 dollar range (they run the meter) so traffic delays increase the fare.  Doing a little math that means you might be looking at $250 taxi fares (round trip) and something like another $200 to get into Disney.   The early departure from Yokohoma is obviously not helpful.  

Getting a taxi at Yokohama is probably not going to be an issue.  I have no clue how difficult it is to get a taxi at Disney or how long it takes to get from wherever you are (within the park) to the taxi stand.

I am a DIY person and might try your crazy idea, making decisions on the spur of the moment, depending on the situation.  If it does not look like a reasonable port day, you can always just stay in Yokohama, enjoy a nice walk and lunch in Chinatown, etc.  I guess another issue is whether you would have any problem buying a one-day Disney ticket, at the park.  Seems like too much uncertainty to justify buying advance tickets.

If Brucemuzz, sees this thread, you can hope he jumps in with all of his expertise (he lives in Japan).

Hank

2 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

Take a 7 hr flight from Singapore to Japan HND layover 2-3 days for Tokyo Disney, then back to U.S. I planned not to take a non-stop 16 hours flight from Singapore back to Canada, I will layover 1-2 days in Osaka. .

I definitely thought about that, but I am guessing my husband will want to get home! On the other hand, I would be absolutely open to another cruise 

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If it is the port of entry, that adds significant time to being off the ship and on your way.  Our experience with the Japanese authorities is that the amount of time is not predictable and could vary from a half hour to at least 2 hours. Things will hopefully move pretty fast since the Japanese are going to be aware that many folks need to catch flights.   But, for arguments sake. assume you can be on your way by 8:30 or 9.  If you are willing to pay the money for a taxi, I would guess the ride to Disney would be about 40 minutes.  Not sure of the fare, but you could be looking at something in the $120 dollar range (they run the meter) so traffic delays increase the fare.  Doing a little math that means you might be looking at $250 taxi fares (round trip) and something like another $200 to get into Disney.   The early departure from Yokohoma is obviously not helpful.  

Getting a taxi at Yokohama is probably not going to be an issue.  I have no clue how difficult it is to get a taxi at Disney or how long it takes to get from wherever you are (within the park) to the taxi stand.

I am a DIY person and might try your crazy idea, making decisions on the spur of the moment, depending on the situation.  If it does not look like a reasonable port day, you can always just stay in Yokohama, enjoy a nice walk and lunch in Chinatown, etc.  I guess another issue is whether you would have any problem buying a one-day Disney ticket, at the park.  Seems like too much uncertainty to justify buying advance tickets.

If Brucemuzz, sees this thread, you can hope he jumps in with all of his expertise (he lives in Japan).

Hank

Thank you Hank, I really appreciate your knowledge. It is okay if it doesn't work out. For me, it's just good to know all of this. I didn't realize it was such a distance, and staying in Yokohama will also be fun. I'm excited to see so many new and diverse ports!

8 minutes ago, PandaBear62 said:

I definitely thought about that, but I am guessing my husband will want to get home! On the other hand, I would be absolutely open to another cruise 

Thank you Hank, I really appreciate your knowledge. It is okay if it doesn't work out. For me, it's just good to know all of this. I didn't realize it was such a distance, and staying in Yokohama will also be fun. I'm excited to see so many new and diverse ports!

Purchase a Tourist Day Pass HK$65, unlimited ride on HK metro, save $$$ to HK Disney.

https://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/day_pass_tourist.html

For Tokyo Disney, entrance time and rides must book through the app, not at your leisure time.

I would not miss Tokyo Disneyland and Sea as a significant theme parks and Disney fan so i would like to propose something crazy inspired by something I saw on a previous cruise.

The cruise line offered 5 night land tours during the cruise for the land locked attraction; Terracotta Army of Xian China as the cruise was STILL going people got off at one port (Shanghai) and the ship + the rest of their luggage.(presumably) visited 2 other ports and had a sea day without them.  Before they returned to the ship at Beijing.

You might think of doing the same on your own if it is within budget and the cruise line says it is OK. I would get off in Tokyo and go to the Uraysu resort to stay for 2 nights, then get a bullet train to rejoin the ship. 

1 hour ago, Jplanetx said:

I would not miss Tokyo Disneyland and Sea as a significant theme parks and Disney fan so i would like to propose something crazy inspired by something I saw on a previous cruise.

The cruise line offered 5 night land tours during the cruise for the land locked attraction; Terracotta Army of Xian China as the cruise was STILL going people got off at one port (Shanghai) and the ship + the rest of their luggage.(presumably) visited 2 other ports and had a sea day without them.  Before they returned to the ship at Beijing.

You might think of doing the same on your own if it is within budget and the cruise line says it is OK. I would get off in Tokyo and go to the Uraysu resort to stay for 2 nights, then get a bullet train to rejoin the ship. 

Interesting idea, but not a big fan.  Why?  1.  It is expensive.  Consider that one is paying to be on that cruise for those days, and many of us take pretty expensive cruises.  and  2.  Ships do miss ports (it seems to be more common in the past few years) which can make one's life difficult, if that is the port where you planned to rejoin the vessel. 

Hank

43 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Interesting idea, but not a big fan.  Why?  1.  It is expensive.  Consider that one is paying to be on that cruise for those days, and many of us take pretty expensive cruises.  and 2.  Ships do miss ports (it seems to be more common in the past few years) which can make one's life difficult, if that is the port where you planned to rejoin the vessel. 

Hank

100% agree with you on both these points, really. Thinking of my fellow sailors travelling to Xian, I thought the same, why pay for the full board accommodation and then pay further to leave that behind. My thoughts are that these voyages are once in a lifetime. It might be seeing the terracotta warriors was so culturally significant it was worth paying the extra amount to leave the cruise behind and tour the area while they are there. Since it was a cruise line excursion, they had a guarantee to join the ship. What I'm suggesting here, you would not have that guarantee.

I am really unsure of the data for port cancellations in Japan. Do you know if it is common for Yokohama and Osaka? Are they less likely to happen because these ports are in a sort of bay? 

I do feel comfortable saying that in Japan self-exploring is incredibly easy. The trains are beyond anything on this planet for reliability and pricing.(There's not much dynamic pricing as far as I can see, the same ticket tomorrow vs. a few weeks from now is the same.)  Taking a weekender—packing lightly, mid-cruise, could be worth it if you know what you want to see.

13 minutes ago, Jplanetx said:

100% agree with you on both these points, really. Thinking of my fellow sailors travelling to Xian, I thought the same, why pay for the full board accommodation and then pay further to leave that behind. My thoughts are that these voyages are once in a lifetime. It might be seeing the terracotta warriors was so culturally significant it was worth paying the extra amount to leave the cruise behind and tour the area while they are there. Since it was a cruise line excursion, they had a guarantee to join the ship. What I'm suggesting here, you would not have that guarantee.

I am really unsure of the data for port cancellations in Japan. Do you know if it is common for Yokohama and Osaka? Are they less likely to happen because these ports are in a sort of bay? 

I do feel comfortable saying that in Japan self-exploring is incredibly easy. The trains are beyond anything on this planet for reliability and pricing.(There's not much dynamic pricing as far as I can see, the same ticket tomorrow vs. a few weeks from now is the same.)  Taking a weekender—packing lightly, mid-cruise, could be worth it if you know what you want to see.

Our normal style is to spend significant land time pre and post cruise.  The best of both worlds.  Leaving a cruise for more than an overnight, seems like a financial loser.