MS Fridtjof Nansen strange behaviour

Fifi235

I was first thinking of that and I looked at the 360° webcam of the ship but nothing was to be seen all around. I was also thinking they could wait an aircraft because of a ill person but no aircraft came. The ship was also out of its normal road.

A whole mystère.

I have been following a thread on the Viking ocean boards… apparently there were some ice floes in the area that day that had ships skipping ports, so I surmise the “curvy” path that FN took may have been related…

I am following this one, as I am scheduled on this itinerary in a few weeks (and new to HX so trying to learn…)

Thank you for this explanation. I saw some sheet of ice floating but I was thinking that Fridtjof Nansen was furbished/ equipped for that kind of situation. Or am I mistaking ?

From what I have read, the port was iced in.  It seems no ships made it there that day or the next.

i too was surprised that an ice-capable ship could not get around the ice, but perhaps the harbor was closed to all. This ship seemed to “try”, but turned around.

@Fifi235 I see that you are scheduled to go on this ship soon.  So am I (three weeks from now!)  When do you begin?

I think you are right and the harbor was closed to all. I suppose the ship is able to fight the ice. So the problem came certainly from another reason and what you wrote seems to be the right reason.

I'm also to begin in a bit more than three weeks. So we will seemingly be on board at the same time.

Viking and HAL ships also did not get to Qaqortoq that day and the days surrounding it.  People onboard those ships said ice was preventing entry to harbor.   With the route that FN took we can only surmise that they had made an attempt and were called off and the harbor was closed due to conditions, since it appeared that no ships made it there.

Thank you ! It is great to have the explanation.

The last call (Christiansund) was also cancelled in the actual trip. They should have been there yesterday, but they didn't stop or even try to go. Any idea ?

Again I can only surmise that bad weather was involved.  The Quark Ultramarine should be there today also … and they show this “maneuver” instead.  I am not sure what is happening, but I have read that the HAL Zuiderdam, also in that area, is getting bounced around a bit today ( they were not scheduled to make a stop here, but are scheduled to be in qaqtorqoq tomorrow….) 
image.thumb.png.0ca07ae543bd0b3d5ccfb1ea37321489.png

I do think that we will have our own “adventure “ in a few weeks.

As a follow up to your Wi-Fi question, while I haven’t yet been on FN, I have been on several ships with Starlink internet.   It has been much superior to anything that ships had prior (I was able to FaceTime from Antarctica with ships starlink;  but, prior to starlink, ships frequently were “out of range” and no internet for days.  that was my experience in 2007 on a trip in Svalbard… none of these were hurtigruten,  however).

I am very hopeful that connection will be good.

Thank you very much for all these details and very interesting informations ! You are right; we will have our own adventure and it will be later in the season : so maybe the ice will have melt a bit more and the weather will be a bit better.

I think they actually went to the fjord of Ivituut where they were planed to go in the way back. I suppose they are hoping to visit Qaqortoq on the way back instead of Ivituut. It's only my opinion buut it does make sense.

Thank you for the picture. It is great the passengers are going to visit Qaqortoq despite the ice problem in the first days. It also means the ice problem is no more a problem at the moment and we will be likely to visit Qaqortoq during our trip.