Power Wheelchairs - best to purchase for air and cruise travel

Hello,

Looking into purchasing (or renting) a power wheelchair for partially disabled husband.  His moblity is extremely limited, he used a cane and leg brace and cannot walk very far at all.  He suffers from fibromyalgia as well and is 6'6".  Last cruise, we took our manual wheelchair, it was obviously necessary but rather difficult in maneuvering, etc.  After some research, looks like possibly a heavy duty foldable power wheelchair may best suit his needs.  Looking for any recommendations/advice on a durable power wheelchair (and that are TSA and cruise ship friendly - with dimensions and batteries).  Our next cruise is out of Southampton, UK next summer.  We have not purchased air yet - likely will fly either into Gatwick or Heathrow.  We prefer Gatwick airport but will weigh options prior (likely will be flying British Airways).  We are cruising on Regal Princess and doing a 13 day in Northern Europe - Ireland, Scotland and LeHavre.  The only shore excursion we've book thusfar is for the LeHavre(Paris) tour on a coach bus (hoping power wheelchair can be stored on bus if possible).  A scooter could be possible too but perhaps thinking a heavy duty foldable power wheelchair may be better to suit his needs.  There seem to be many options and not sure which way to go - have seen Hoveround  and Fold and Go as well as many others for companies to look into.  Im open to any advice/suggestions and thank you in advance!

I can't give you advice about purchase as I am in the UK.

My wife, also a fibromyalgia sufferer, uses a lightweight folding power chair outside the house. Taking it by air, also BA, has been a mixed experience. We ask for assistance at the airports and book business class, but it's not always smooth going. We use her chair to the door of the plane and they are supposed to deliver it on arrival. In practice there can be a long wait.

It's important to know all the details of the chair and that it and, importantly, the batteries are acceptable to the airline. Even though the batteries were totally isolated, there was still much discussion involving the Captain, before they were accepted.  

The chair is excellent for cruising although we do book an accessible cabin, mainly for the automatic door and seat in the shower. Tours are a lottery: We were told that shuttle busses would have a ramp when they did not. Most coach drivers are happy to load the chair into the luggage compartment but some were not. We were left at the roadside in Copenhagen and had to find a taxi. Taxis are variable as well and it often depends on the mood of the driver.

I would suggest that you have a look at a rental from Southampton and rely on the facilities at the airports as far as the ship. We have used these people and their service is excellent:

https://www.mobilityatsea.co.uk/accessible-cruising

• Like 1

I’ve used a Forcemech navigator xl for over 5 years.  It’s been on a few transatlantic flights, dozens of domestic flights, and multiple cruises without issues and folds up to fit in the luggage area of most motor couches.

• Like 1

I have a Fold and Go power chair. I purchased it after rental scooters weren't enough. I've taken it on four cruises without issue.

For airline travel, I take it to the gate and check it at the door to the airplane. Be sure to tell the gate agent that you want it delivered to the gate at your destination, otherwise they'll send it to baggage claim. TSA varies widely depending on the airport and which employees are working. Most of the time they are fine. They will swab your hands and the chair and pat you down. The only bad experience I had was a few years ago in Orlando where the agents were horrible to me, separating me from my purse and carry on bag and being nasty when I protested. This year, the agents in Orlando were very nice. I do have Pre-check.

At least 75% of my travel is on my own and I can manage the chair easily. I can walk enough to get on a bus, so the chair can be folded and placed in the cargo area under the bus.

• Like 1

My advice is go to where they are sold somewhere near your home & possibly a couple places if possible to try them out.  Some are very heavy & if you are going to be the one to fold & lift it by yourself make sure you can.  We have a Porto Mobility that folds up nicely but it is mail order only & not covered by medical insurance.  It weighs about 50lbs, has lithium batteries that I had to remove & take on the plane with us (it's easy to do), comes with a cover for when it's folded so it's somewhat protected in cargo, & had no problem with gate check & return on AA.  I will say it is a bit cumbersome for me to get into our car trunk but I can do it.  My husband helps me lift it usually.  He also can walk but not far.  There are many different types out there so I would narrow down a few you like then come back with specific ones to ask about.  Also look into renting as someone suggested.  In the US the airlines should offer wheelchair service to & from the plane but we haven't traveled outside the US so I can't speak to that. Hope you find one that works for you. Also pay attention to the terrain it is supposed to be able to go on, it makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...