Start in HCMC or Siem Reap for Mekong River tour

YoHoHo

Reaching out as a bit of a decision rush. Have a hold on a trip that becomes a non-refundable deposit end of day Monday July 1 so need to make a decision now.

The trip is Mekong river. Currently have hold on late October HCMC to Siem Reap. I like this for a few reasons Seems to me ending rainy season but not as hot as later. Also do not want to be away too close to Christmas this year. And like arriving a few days early in HCMC to get over the flights.

After the cruise we will fly to Bangkok for about 10 days.

But now we need to defer this trip to next year. Problem is the same date and direction is sold out. Before and after are available, prices $300 pp higher but in opposite direction, Siem Reap to HCMC. For same direction either have to go late September or early November (and $200 more)

Not having yet done a dive into pre-trip research, I know little about Siem Reap and wondering if this is as suitable as a starting point.

We would still arrive a little early to overcome jetlag and acclimatize. And then this means not spending time in HCMC unless we add some days before flying to Bangkok. (going to Bangkok is firm). So to have some additional time in HCMC we also will be away longer (and spend more)

Is Siem Reap a good place to spend a few days pre-cruise or better stay with the original plan of arrive in HCMC and a few days pre-cruise? The original plan was to fly to Bangkok at the end of the tour having seen Angor Wat as part of the tour.

I guess the question is...which is more preferable, from HCMC in September or from Siem Reap in October?

I am thinking upstream or downstream is not much of a difference. I read it is shorter sailing times downstream as it is faster but still passing the same scenery.

Suggestions are welcomed

We are doing this trip in January, Siem Riep to HCMC - it is a land/cruise package deal: 3 nights in Siem Riep, 7 nights  on river to HCMC

if you do not have any such days in Siem Riep as part of your cruise then doing a few days yourself before cruise would work well IMO

Not sure which country you are coming from - for us, jet lag will be minimal,relatively short flight from Australia

I have been to Vietnam before so not planning to do any extension time there

For me, we just took that direction because the dates fit better for us

Thanks for the quick reply. I am over thinking, I'm sure it will be great either way. And I re-read both itineraries and it will work. 

I'm in Canada; long flights, time changes. And the lag seems to hit harder as each year passes. Met with some folks from Australia last month in Prague. Much longer trip for them. Australians are such great travellers despite often such long distances. But then, as you say you have some amazing destinations not so far away.

Enjoy your trip in January and hope you have awesome weather.

• Like 1

Thank you

this forum does tend to be mainly about Europe river cruises - but there are some folk on here who have done the Mekong.

We are doing similar next year, starting in SR and ending in HCMC. Check flight schedules/costs both directions. Going from SR to BKK is probably easier than Canada to SR, so upstream might work out cheaper/less time. We are doing a few days in Hanoi first, so it wasn't an issue, but it was 40+ hours US to SR vs 20+ to Hanoi or HCMC.

Siem Reap is nice, but there is not a whole lot to do there (not counting the ruins, of course).  Perhaps go to Thailand first if you start in Siem Reap?  

Many years ago we cruised Siem Reap to HCMC. We thought this was a good way to go, as we visited many many temples during the cruise and trip. This way we saw “the best”  (Angkor Wat)of them first, before becoming “templed” out. Others like to build up to the “ best”. This of course is all a matter of preference.