Will the Tahitian experience change?

My first cruise in Tahitian waters was on the Wind Song….the only cruise ship to be seen. Then I sailed on the Paul Gauguin twice. That made 2 ships in the area. Now WS is bringing back another ship….making it three visiting the islands. That would male about 300 (SB)plus 150(WS) plus 300(PG) tourist on the islands. Now Oceania is bringing in 2 ships at about 600 passengers each.

More passengers, bigger buses? More traffic? More shopping?

I hope Tahiti doesn’t become like the Caribbean…

I better get back there soon to enjoy the unsoiled beauty.

Hopefully the cruise lines will continue to coordinate so that no more than 1 ship is in any Tahitian port on a given day. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2024 at 8:32 AM, avalong said:

Hopefully the cruise lines will continue to coordinate so that no more than 1 ship is in any Tahitian port on a given day. 

I’m not sure that any such coordination exists. When I was cruising in Tahiti in February of this year there were three ships visiting Bora Bora at the same time (2 x Windstar + 1 x Oceania). Similarly there were two ships in port in both Moorea and Papeete when we were there.

That having been said having other ships in port at the same time didn’t detract from our enjoyment at all. Fortunately all the ships in port with us were small ships and it could well have been a different experience if our visit had coincided with one of the larger cruise ships.