Anyone done cruise snorel tour to shipwrecks?

catspaw1

We are PADI advanced divers also but will just be snorkeling this time. I agree when the seas are up, it makes snorkeling uncomfortable.  Thanks for letting me know. Boat operators should not go to areas when seas are rough for snorkelers. What side of the island is those wrecks on? I'll look at the marine forecast before I book. Ocean seas are rarely perfect & I would suspect at least 1- 2 feet. 

15 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Boat operators should not go to areas when seas are rough for snorkelers.

This is what happened to us last year.  We booked this tour but there was rain and wind that day, making the site too rough, so the operators took us to an alternate site.  We were given the choice to cancel and receive a refund if we preferred.

We did the alternate site, as did mostly everyone else in the group.  I would have loved to see the wrecks but it's still always great to be in the water.  We have Bermuda booked again next year and can always try for the shipwrecks then. 

7 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

How was the snorkeling at the alternate site? I have my own equipment.

It was very calm and easy snorkeling there.  There was good visibility for the fish and corals.  My husband and I are nowhere near experts and don't get to snorkel as often as we'd like so we did enjoy ourselves.  I think if someone was really set on snorkeling the wrecks, they may have been disappointed but for us, there was no point in being upset at the weather. 

I'm ok with any snorkeling.  I don't necessarily need wreck. We dove a lot in Bonaire as we spent winters on our own sailboat there for a number of years & dove off our dinghy. I never go inside wrecks but do dive on them only looking from the outside. We haven't been diving & snorkeling for years but it's one of my favorite things to do. BTW I got swim pants from waterless so will see how they work. We are going on the Flora next year to the Galapagos.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

I'm ok with any snorkeling.  I don't necessarily need wreck. We dove a lot in Bonaire as we spent winters on our own sailboat there for a number of years & dove off our dinghy. I never go inside wrecks but do dive on them only looking from the outside. We haven't been diving & snorkeling for years but it's one of my favorite things to do. BTW I got swim pants from waterless so will see how they work. We are going on the Flora next year to the Galapagos.

This is how I am, as well.  Your trip next year sounds amazing!  I hope you have a great trip to Bermuda. 

23 minutes ago, Mangrove Snapper said:

We dove a lot in Bonaire as we spent winters on our own sailboa

I have never found any snorkeling in Bermuda that is as good as Bonaire. The operators in Bermuda will go to an alternative site if the waters are too rough. I have had that happen in Bermuda. You can rent your own boat at a place like BDA Watersports and motorr out yourself  to the wrecks and other snorkel spots. They will provide a map. Need to reserve in advance though.. 

Thanks Charles for the insight. We were in Bonaire 20 years ago & even then coral bleaching was a big problem.  The best places we have found for snorkeling is Las Aves & Los Roques in Venezuela. Of course, it's not safe at all to go there now. We used to snorkel (we had dive tanks onboard but with no where to fill them in both places, saved for an emergency) , collected conch & had conch fritters drinking our $3 case shorty polar beers for lunch.  Life didn't get much better than that. When I get asked for my happy place- those are the places I think of. It was Gilligan's Island with almost no tourists. We used to trade with the fisherman - our water for their fish.

Thanks Mangrove - you are right. I just love to watch the fish. When we used to dive in Bonaire for the winter season, we knew where the seahorses were & would regularly dive to see them. They are awesome.  Even got one to hold onto my little finger once- it was by accident as we normally don't touch them. I was just a little to close & he latched on. I got him back but it's always stayed with me. 

• Like 1