Canal du Midi? Carcassone? - any thoughts doing that when in port in Sete?

andiamo76

We will be stopping in Sete in early October '24 and are researching wht to do that day.  The ship offers 2 different brage cruises on the Canal du Midi, bus transportation to/from carcassone, as well as a few other excursions while in Sete.  I am interested in recommendations from people who have done of these independently or through an excursion.  Thanks!

Interesting choices.  We would go to Carcassone (been there twice) although we would do it on our own with a rental car.  But an excursion is a fine option for those who like excursions.  As to the Canal dur Midi, I do not even understand this as a a few hour excursion.  The Canal du Midi is a very interesting journey for a longer barge trip (be it on a small group cruise or a self-drive barge).    Friends of ours did the Canal du Midi, with one other couple, and arranged to pilot their own barge.  They had a ball and told us many stories about dealing with the locks :).

For those not that adventurous, the Canal du Midi can be done through various French companies such as Le Boat.

Hank

I answered your question on a different thread.  Reposting here.

@andiamo76 - 

I have been to the Canal du Midi on a full week barge cruise that was really enjoyable.  Once with Seabourn we took their Canal du Midi excursion.  They do a segment of the Canal ending up at Marseillan on the Etang de Thau.  Then bus back to Sete. It is a very pretty section of the Canal with a ride on the Etang itself past the oyster beds.  Marseillan is delightful, but you will not spend much time there. It is a large barge where you must sit on deck to really enjoy the views. It will probably be a bit too cool in the fall. 

From Sete, if you are not familiar with the area, you should go to Carcassonne.  It is ideal in the Fall because it will not be as crowded as during the Summer.  We have been there 3 or 4 times on land vacations.  Other Seabourn offerings from Sete, are Montpellier and Aigues Mortes.  Two very different experiences, but both very good. Montpellier is a very large city with a beautiful historical center,  Aigues Mortes is a medieval walled city in the Camargue.  Either one would be great if you don't want to go to Carcassonne.  But, go to Carcassonne. 

Hlitner and marazul; 

Thank you both for responding!  You were very helpful.  We appreciated your thoughts and suggestion.  It looks like for now we shall switch our excursion (yes on Sb) from one of the Canal du Midi trips to the Carcassone bus/shuttle transportation.  We call it "bird in the hand", while we do more research and figure out the rental car.  From several posts I read, granted generally from several years ago, it sounded like a rental car could be a challenge to locate and get, but hopefully things have change and improved.  I am tickled there are a few different things, each of which, could make for a delightful day while the ship is in Sete.  Carmague and  Aigues Mortes also sounded appealing, but Carcassone is widely written about, and you both gave it a solid recommendation.  Doing a Canal du Midi barge trip at some point could be fun.  We have never taken one, but have signed up for one in NE France to see what it is like.  

Too bad neither of you is on this trip as it could be fun to partner on some of the ports.  Anyone going on the Encore including the night in Ephesus? 

Oh yes, please pardon my horrendous typos in my original posting.  Obviously I was rushing and didn't proof read.    

I highly recommend the barge trips. The ones in Burgundy are wonderful. 

So is the Ephesus evening with SB. You are in for some fun trips. 

Enjoy! 

3 hours ago, andiamo76 said:

Hlitner and marazul; 

Thank you both for responding!  You were very helpful.  We appreciated your thoughts and suggestion.  It looks like for now we shall switch our excursion (yes on Sb) from one of the Canal du Midi trips to the Carcassone bus/shuttle transportation.  We call it "bird in the hand", while we do more research and figure out the rental car.  From several posts I read, granted generally from several years ago, it sounded like a rental car could be a challenge to locate and get, but hopefully things have change and improved.  I am tickled there are a few different things, each of which, could make for a delightful day while the ship is in Sete.  Carmague and  Aigues Mortes also sounded appealing, but Carcassone is widely written about, and you both gave it a solid recommendation.  Doing a Canal du Midi barge trip at some point could be fun.  We have never taken one, but have signed up for one in NE France to see what it is like.  

Too bad neither of you is on this trip as it could be fun to partner on some of the ports.  Anyone going on the Encore including the night in Ephesus? 

Oh yes, please pardon my horrendous typos in my original posting.  Obviously I was rushing and didn't proof read.    

We will be on the Encore, but about a month before you board.  

Hank