Berlin excursion

I see that Viking Venus is in Warnemunde today on its Viking Homelands cruise.  We are on its next cruise, the same in the opposite direction, also calling at Warnemunde.  We are booked on the included train excursion to Berlin, the on your own option on arrival there. 

My research shows that places including the Reichstag and Brandenburg Gate, things you would wish to see, are closed up for the European Football tournament.  I am wondering if the excursions still went ahead and how things are in Berlin for the tourist.  Any comments?

Euro 2024 finishes on Sunday 14th April, things should open up after that. If your excursion to Berlin is after this date, I would assume that everywhere should be open again by then

Berliner here - the Reichstag is open for visitors as normal. It’s just a bit more difficult to access because of the so-called fan zones around that area and along the Straße des 17. Juni leading up to the Brandenburg Gate. However, the Dome of the Reichstag is closed for annual cleaning until the 26 July.

Have fun in Berlin!

• Thanks 1

I must say we are huge fans of Viking and enjoy their excursions. However this is the only one we wish we had never taken. I recall the train journey, on a old none air conditioned train, took about 3 hours. It broke down on the way back so the return took about 4 hours. We didn't get that long in Berlin and felt we hadn't done it justice at all

I should add this was in the middle of an heatwave which was clearly a big factor

If I was in Warnemunde again I would go for one of the old & nearby Hanseatic places like Rostock.

We too did not enjoy our day trip to Berlin. It was almost three hours each way with no A/C and the heat was unrelenting coming through the trains sun dome. Assigned seats and not allowed to move. One small carton of water. One toilet for 60+ people and always a wait of 15-20 minutes. Our driver and guide were awful and we saw very little. We plan to travel to Berlin and stay in a hotel in the future. Viking called after we returned home and when I mentioned we had an upcoming river cruise they gave us $300 (the price of the excursion) to use. We used it for extra excursions, laundry and some drinks. We felt it was fair.

• Like 1

We took this excursion last month and enjoyed it very much. Our train ride was fine. No issues with it being too hot and the line for the rest room moved fairly quickly. We toured the city, had lunch at a very nice restaurant and then toured the concentration camp. I would highly recommend this excursion.

We actually spent the day in Warnemunde because the early start and long train ride seemed like a lot to spend a few hours in Berlin. It’s a fun little German seaside town with nice outdoor cafes and lots going on at the beach. And we hardly heard a word of English spoken the entire day!

• Like 3

In principle, I agree with those who recommend spending the day in Warnemünde and surroundings. It’s quite a charming town with a lovely harbour where you can eat all sorts of fish specialties. You really can’t do justice to Berlin in a couple of hours. Greater Berlin covers a very large area and there are sights right across the city. It’s also an incredibly green city with forests, rivers and lakes. You may get to see the Reichtstag and Brandenburg Gate in the few hours you have in Berlin, but you would miss getting a real impression of the place.

23 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Isn't that true of pretty much everywhere cruise ships go? You just get a taste. People go on a gondola ride and then say they've been to Venice.

I agree. But you normally don’t travel 3 hours each way to just get a taste.

• Like 1

On this particular route I completely understand why most will want to take the included excursion to Berlin. Probably I would too if it was my only chance to visit the city. I was just pointing out, as others have done, that the ship docks in a very pleasant walkable town and that Berlin is a long way away and, in the short time available, can only afford a glimpse of what’s on offer.

I hope that’s helpful for for people to know who are unsure whether to embark on the long train journey to Berlin.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ReaderGirl57 said:

We actually spent the day in Warnemunde because the early start and long train ride seemed like a lot to spend a few hours in Berlin. It’s a fun little German seaside town with nice outdoor cafes and lots going on at the beach. And we hardly heard a word of English spoken the entire day!

Agree! We took the excursion to Rostock in the morning and then spent the afternoon at the beach and wandering the town…one of our favorite days.

• Like 1