Move up to Culinary Discovery tour?

Woofa

We have already reserved a cooking class and a shore excursion (snorkeling in St. Lucia) for our Marina Thanksgiving Caribbean cruise.  I now see that this cruise offers a Culinary Discovery whole day tour in San Juan(including class back on the ship.)

Assuming O will let us cancel and book the CD instead of the other two, looking for people who might have done this tour (or a different CD) to see if its worth making the change ( and paying the additional Money (CD is more than double the other two combined.)

We are cruise only but have some Onboard credit to spend.

I have the impression these tours are a specialty of O's and to be honest, were this one in Europe we would probably not hesitate to switch.  This one visits a hydroponic farm and of course we know it will be hot.

Any advice with experience similar is appreciated. Hoping to decide by tomorrow as I assume these sell out quickly.

I'd probably book now, assuming you can cancel later if you change your mind.  If you book as part of a SM Excursion Package, you'll need to make changes online by 2 weeks prior to embarkation day.  If you're paying full price (or using shipboard credit) without the package, you'll need to CX 36 hours pre-excursion departure. (CX policies are outlined in the Guest Statement you received when you made first payment on cruise.)  I'm a thrifty cruiser, and more interested in sightseeing than cooking when it comes to excursions, so I can't tell you whether the excursion is worthwhile or not.  But from the limited info I've heard over the years, people seem to really like this kind of excursion.  So I'd do it, and probably quickly!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Denverbri69 said:

How do you know if you cruise has a Discovery culinary tour?

When looking at the individual excursions, it would be indicated with the (Culinary Discovery) CD box such as the Oceania Exclusives are noted with the OE box designation, etc.  

On 7/7/2024 at 9:24 AM, Woofa said:

looking for people who might have done this tour (or a different CD)

I haven't had a chance to do the one in San Juan, but the few CD tours that I've done in other ports have been my favorites on Oceania. The ones that involve the partial cooking class after the tour, like the San Juan one, have all been fantastic.

• Like 3

Called O today and have now switched to the CD tour.  Very excited to give this a try.  Thanks @proton-excitement.

• Like 2