Getting around LA with a 1 year old

Considering going on a cruise out of LA with my daughter and grandson this fall. I’m wondering how people with babies get around as I used to Uber but am a little hesitant to use an unknown car seat.  I usually get a hotel near the LAX airport but would like to pop over to Santa Monica for a bit as we would arrive the morning before the cruise.

17 hours ago, Mbcruiser704 said:

with my daughter and grandson this fall. I’m wondering how people with babies get around as I used to Uber but am a little hesitant to use an unknown car seat.

the best way is to travel with your own car seat. For a 1 yo, I'd recommend a Cosco Scenera NEXT - easy to use, light, compact no frills seat. It may be more convenient to install it with a seat belt in a taxi or Uber/lyft.

Unless the mother already has a travel-friendly car seat for the kid...

• 2 weeks later...

Ubers and taxis in California do not offer car seats so you have to bring your own. If flying in, I always used to gate check my car seat and put it into a car seat bag to protect it from getting dirty.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, PaddleAddict said:

If flying in, I always used to gate check my car seat and put it into a car seat bag to protect it from getting dirty.  

the best way to guarantee the safety of the seat is to use it on the plane. Just an FYI. Dirt is not the issue. The way the suitcases and car seats are thrown around....

15 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

the best way to guarantee the safety of the seat is to use it on the plane. Just an FYI. Dirt is not the issue. The way the suitcases and car seats are thrown around....

That is true but only works if they have purchased a seat for the baby. Most people don’t for a child under 2. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, PaddleAddict said:

That is true but only works if they have purchased a seat for the baby. Most people don’t for a child under 2. 

True.

Sometimes the flight is not full, and it's possible to find a separate seat for the baby. If waiting to gate check the car seat anyway, might as well inquire about the available seats. 

P.S. A car seat cannot be installed in the aisle seat.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1