NYC Port Authority question

educator

We are thinking of busing into the New York Port Authority for our next cruise, and we've heard that there is a shuttle from the Authority to the cruise piers. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, is there a charge for the shuttle? Is the shuttle on demand or on a rgular schedule? What does a taxi cost to go to the piers? We would appreciate any help and advice.

Taxi, less than ten bucks. Tell cab to go west to 12th then uptown. Get off at 48th st. and then walk across the street yourself. You'll save $$$$ over sitting in cab as he goes all the way up to 56th just to drop you right at curb in front of ship.

We are thinking of busing into the New York Port Authority for our next cruise, and we've heard that there is a shuttle from the Authority to the cruise piers. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, is there a charge for the shuttle? Is the shuttle on demand or on a rgular schedule? What does a taxi cost to go to the piers? We would appreciate any help and advice.

Since the Port Authority is a bus terminal, agree with taking a cab.

Never heard of a shuttle to the NY piers there was one for the one in Bayonne...I am sure to Red Hook there will be one(new opens 4-15)

Can you give me more info on a shuttle to Bayonne or tell me hwere I might find this info.?We will be going from manhattan to Bayonne and then from Bayonne to EWR.

Can you give me more info on a shuttle to Bayonne or tell me hwere I might find this info.?We will be going from manhattan to Bayonne and then from Bayonne to EWR.

There was a shuttle from Penn Station-Newark(yes the name in Newark is the same as in NY) to the ship but I don't know if they still have it. You best bet is to call the cruise line.

Smeyer,

I need all the help I can get. I did a search on the NJ transit site and it indicates I can get from EWR to Manhattan on a bus (2 transfers) in about an hour for less than $10. Does that sound likely? Hard to do with a medium suitcase? It also shows that a taxi would be about $45 instead of the $65 I've been told. Needless to say, I'm Confused. That site also shows that it would take longer on the train to Penn Sta and then get a cab to the hotel.

that makes no sense. They built a tram(train) that connects directly from the airport terminals(you take the escaltor right into the tram from the terminal) to Newark's Liberty train terminal . From there you can take either a New Jersey transit or Amtrak to Manhattan. I am fairly sure its $5.50 on the Tram and I have no idea how much NJ Transit costs. The bus runs in traffic. Any promise of time on a bus is at best foolish. I am sure the port authority web site from EWR shows this.

http://www.panynj.gov/

The cab fare is plus tolls $6.00 plus the NJ turnpike(I usually take the skyway) and tip. Plus there is an extra charge for luggage in excess of 60 inches? cm? I never know. SO if its a flat $45.00 plus tolls and tip...I bet I am closer at $65.00 than they are at $45.00 :)

I did a search on the NJ transit site and it indicates I can get from EWR to Manhattan on a bus (2 transfers) in about an hour for less than $10. Does that sound likely?

Two transfers? It sounds colossally inconvenient. Take the non-stop airport bus from EWR to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan (I think the one-way fare is around $12) and then a taxi to your hotel. The tram/train thing to Penn Station is also good, but involves more walking, waiting on the train platform, etc. Do not take a taxi if you want to keep the cost down.

Archived