Advice for Alaska cruise with powerchair

I’m looking for an Alaskan cruise with a few requirements: I am a fulltime powerchair user - no standing, etc, I must use a slide board to transfer from chair to bed/toilet. We would love a cruise that sees glaciers and wildlife (land and water) and has several options that allow my powerchair to get off for excursions. Our 25th wedding anniversary is next year, and I’d love to get a jump on planning for this. 

There’s nothing worse than hearing about people who go on a dream cruise, only to find out that they couldn’t get off the boat for any of the excursions unless they were in a manual chair or could walk a few steps. I can do neither. 

I’d also like to hear if there are cruise lines or ports to stay away from, but I’d definitely like to hear about ones that you loved that fit the reqs I put above!

I have been to Alaska 3 times so I am not an expert. But I read that sometimes they have to tender in in Ketchikan which would not work for you I don't believe.  Ketchikan is wonderful and you don't want to miss it so I would recommend that you check with the Health desk of your chosen cruise line before booking.  Also, make sure you book a stateroom that can accommodate you - i.e. they have wider doors and storage room.  It may be helpful to contact the cruise line and ask for a Personal Cruise Consultant who has experience with accommodations for the disabled.   Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The only significant obstacle a few of the mainline cruises ships may present is the use of tenders.

You may be a bit late for 2025, but you will want to book an accessible cabin, and you need to do so pretty quickly after itineraries are released or you may have little choice.

It is much easier to get from the airport to the cruise port using a power wheelchair in Vancoiver using  SkyTrain public transportation. Getting around Seattle is doable, but requires more planning. Staying at the PanPacific at Vancouver puts you right above your ship for the night.

Although it may be a bit more expensive, you may want to buy excursions through the cruise line, noting in the catalog which (few) are wheelchair accessible. The train in Skagway IS accessible if you are in the right car- there are limited seats. It is unlikely you will find an easily accessible helicopter tour. The dogsled tours probably can accommodate you of you can transfer, but not your 350+ pound wheelchair. Salmon fishing may also not be a accessible to you.

The ships themselves are generally very accessible, save for some pools and slides if your ship is so equipped.

If going only northbound, I suggest going on Captain Phillips' tour in Whittier before transferring to Anchorage.

Edited by FOPMan

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, darstamp said:

I have been to Alaska 3 times so I am not an expert. But I read that sometimes they have to tender in in Ketchikan which would not work for you I don't believe.  Ketchikan is wonderful and you don't want to miss it so I would recommend that you check with the Health desk of your chosen cruise line before booking.  Also, make sure you book a stateroom that can accommodate you - i.e. they have wider doors and storage room.  It may be helpful to contact the cruise line and ask for a Personal Cruise Consultant who has experience with accommodations for the disabled.   Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by shadow 123
Revision

If it were me I would look for the cruise that I wanted and then call the cruise line and see what they have to say about accessibility. I hope you go and have a wonderful time.