Resilient Lady and Virgin Entertainment

cusematt4

Hi all,

We are an older couple - 60s+ and considering our first ever Mediterranean Greece cruise.  We are debating between Virgin, Celebrity and Princess.

Virgin is significantly more expensive when comparing the inclusion of tips/wifi on all (the other 2 lines also include drinks at our cheaper price point).

I'm wondering about entertainment - the shows seem like they are very unique and different (we were not impressed by what we saw on the inaugural Scarlett lady cruise) at all.  We were also very, very disappointed that there were no variety acts (comedians, magicians, etc.) and that there was very, very little live music - just 1 mere band.

Has things changed on Virgin?  Is there now ample live entertainment and live music to justify the significantly higher price point, or are both still scarce with mostly a dj and nightclub scene/vibe?  If so, what can we expect aside from the 2-3 "unique" shows?

Thanks so much.

38 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

We are an older couple - 60s+ and considering our first ever Mediterranean Greece cruise.  We are debating between Virgin, Celebrity and Princess.

Virgin is significantly more expensive when comparing the inclusion of tips/wifi on all (the other 2 lines also include drinks at our cheaper price point).

I'm wondering about entertainment - the shows seem like they are very unique and different (we were not impressed by what we saw on the inaugural Scarlett lady cruise) at all.  We were also very, very disappointed that there were no variety acts (comedians, magicians, etc.) and that there was very, very little live music - just 1 mere band.

Has things changed on Virgin?  Is there now ample live entertainment and live music to justify the significantly higher price point, or are both still scarce with mostly a dj and nightclub scene/vibe?  If so, what can we expect aside from the 2-3 "unique" shows?

Thanks so much.

Generally all VV ships have one or two live guest bands and at least one busker-style solo or duo guest musician. On longer itineraries there might be more.

Right now Resileint Lady has Sons of James trio and Soulo Lyon trio as the bands plus Selkii as a soloist and  Akimbo duo.

They do seem to have increased slightly the number of guest live bands compared to a few years afo, but there is no house band on Resilient.

There will be a guest magician, comedian or variety act as the festival stage act onboard. Generally just one, but transatlantic and similar long trips get more.

Resilient Lady has completely different shows compared to Scarlet Lady, Persephone is a circus type retelling of the Greek legend, performed with a standing audience, I thought it was excellent, Mind Mangler is a comedy magic show from Mischief theatre (who made The Play That Goes Wrong), Miss Behave Show is a silly caberet game show with lots of ability for the audience joining in and is just great fun, Another Rose is a dinner show with live singing and circus/acrobatics plus drinks and good Indian inspired food and Lola’s Library is a cabaret show with singing and dancing. In my opinion they are all great shows except for Lola’s Library that is too badly written. 
VV Insider has a good summery https://vvinsider.com/events-on-resilient-lady/

there is also the official website

https://www.virginvoyages.com/cruise-entertainment#resilient-lady

I think RL in general has better entertainment than SL and VL.

• Like 1

We have had comedians, magicians, etc. on longer cruises, as well as the shows above.  Shows on Resilient are a little different tha on Valiant or Scarlet, and there have been a few changes on all ships since the very beginning.

I'm surprised that you are finding the other lines costing less when you add in the things that are included on VV.  Still, that is a matter of which sailings you choose and VV prices have increased.   

My daughter is booked for 7 nights on another line with a package that includes tips, limited wifi, limited specialty dining, and unlimited drinks.  They are paying almost double for 7 nights what we paid for 14 nights on VV with unlimited wifi, all dining, all fitness classes, and we booked during a time when we got more bar tab than we spent.  And we had a balcony on VV while they are in an inside on the other line.