Greenock to Edinburgh Military Tattoo

Looking for those that have insights to get from the Geenock port to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. Concerned that tickets may be gone before we get a chance to get tickets through the Princess cruises and was looking for alternatives for transportation and getting tickets. Any input would be valuable. Would also like info on the timing, dining suggestions, and anything that would be helpful. TIA

Unless you're here on a Saturday, when there is a matinee performance that finishes at about 7.45pm, the only practical way to return to Greenock is via private transport as the main show finishes around 11.00pm.

Getting to Edinburgh from Greenock by public transport is relatively straightforward, but involves a short walk between stations in Glasgow.  Total journey time is around 2 hours by train.

You can book the Tattoo directly (https://www.edintattoo.co.uk/tickets).  Some (expensive) tickets include hospitality.  If that doesn't appeal, then there's a huge range of restaurants within walking distance of the castle and I wouldn't let that worry you until much nearer the time.

It is 70 miles to Edinburgh from Greenock, and on days other than Saturday the tattoo ends after the last train leaves Edinburgh for Glasgow.

There are however Citilink coaches all night between Edinburgh and Glasgow so that is a workable possibility, you'd need a taxi from Glasgow to Greenock - a 25 mile trip.

Other options are a private driver or a night in the Edinburgh area and travel back to ship next morning, but that very much depends on when the ship leaves port.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, khurley20 said:

Concerned that tickets may be gone before we get a chance to get tickets through the Princess cruises

I have read on CC that shorexTattoo tickets sell out quickly on all lines so maybe check the shorex offerings daily and when you see them come  available, buy immediately.

If you have not already done so, you could check any Roll Call for your ship and sailing in case fellow passengers have made arrangements and are  looking for others like yourselves to share.

Edited by edinburgher

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2024 at 8:06 PM, khurley20 said:

Concerned that tickets may be gone before we get a chance to get tickets through the Princess cruises and was looking for alternatives for transportation and getting tickets

This a heads up for your next year itinerary.  Keep a close eye on Princess shorex for your sailing  as the shorex may come available sooner than you think.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3025201-2025-royal-edinburgh-military-tattoo-tickets-already-on-sale/#comment-67825852

On 7/19/2024 at 2:02 PM, edinburgher said:

I have read on CC that shorexTattoo tickets sell out quickly on all lines

That seems to be a bit variable.  I got some complimentary tickets from one of the Shorex companies as they didn't shift their full allocation that night, and there were 40-50 seats in front of us unoccupied.  But other days are sold-out.

Interestingly I also checked the Tattoo's own website for subsequent dates (we were there fairly near the start of August) and there were still multiple dates with some ticket availability (and not just expensive tickets).  I believe tickets are released in phases, plus resellers can probably return unsold tickets up to a certain point, so "nothing available" can change nearer the date.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

That seems to be a bit variable.  I got some complimentary tickets from one of the Shorex companies as they didn't shift their full allocation that night, and there were 40-50 seats in front of us unoccupied.  But other days are sold-out.

Passengers on cruises do not usually have the flexibility. of dates enjoyed by residents .

I had referred to shorex tickets selling out quite quickly once they are offered by cruiselines as there is usually only one date when passengers can attend, and they have no way of knowing in advance if their one and only date  might still have availability on that evening for independents who would prefer to go it alone. And shorex will usually include transport both ways between the ship and the venue and that is reassuring for passengers especially for those docking some distance away.

The OP  khurley20 had expressed an interest in a shorex offered by Princess, and given their docking at Greenock,  although costly, taking a shorex would be the most stress free way to attend knowing that the ship would wait should there be a delay on the return route which is quite a long drive.

Wishing we had your contacts fruitmachine as complimentary tickets would be welcome given the cost increases year on year.😀

Edited by edinburgher

5 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

I had referred to shorex tickets selling out quite quickly once they are offered by cruiselines as there is usually only one date when passengers can attend, and they have no way of knowing in advance if their one and only date 

I agree - sometimes they are all sold out, but it's not a given.  I had that direct experience where the shorex company contracted by the cruiseline and sending multiple coachloads from the ship to the castle still had 40-50 seats that were not taken up by passengers.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

the shorex company contracted by the cruiseline and sending multiple coachloads from the ship to the castle still had 40-50 seats that were not taken up by passengers.

Perhaps the cruiseline had inflated the cost too much.

Edited by edinburgher

Posted (edited)

From our Roll Call in 2013, we had 16 people sign up. We hired a van that stopped at Stirling Castle, drop off near the Edinburgh Castle,Tattoo tickets, arranged a pre set meal at a restaurant near the Castle entrance with drop off back at the ship.  We made it back before the Princess buses and cheaper than Princess cost.

Edited by phabric
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, phabric said:

From our Roll Call in 2013, we had 16 people sign up. We hired a van that stopped at Stirling Castle, drop off near the Edinburgh Castle,Tattoo tickets, arranged a pre set meal at a restaurant near the Castle entrance with drop off back at the ship.  We made it back before the Princess buses and cheaper than Princess cost.

I am certain that future passengers considering a similar private excursion will be interested to read this, so thank you for taking the time to post.

It sounds like an amazing day and evening.  I only hope the weather gods smiled on you and it remained dry throughout, as surprising  though it may be, we do occasionally experience rain in Scotland.😉