Wifi Question

Posted (edited)

If we only want to get wifi for the last couple of days of the cruise, is that possible and is it a prorated rate at that time?

We will be in Bermuda for 3.5 days and we have wifi while docked and have 300 minutes from the free at sea for the first day.

Trying to figure out what would be best. Thanks.

Edited by jornj

I believe that NCL charges for the wifi as a full package, not by the day or pro-rated.  We've often had 'only' 300 min. of wifi and found it to be plenty for checking email/texts when not in port.  If you've got 300 min. (per person, by the way, in case you are travelling with someone and they are also concerned about the amount of wifi time) for 1.5 days, you should be OK.  We had 300 min. for our 15 day Transatlantic last spring (which had 7 sea days) and found it to be enough for checking emails 1-2x a day when not in part and even had some time left at the end.  If you've got T-Mobile as your cell carrier, Bermuda is part of your plan and you get free texts there.  

1 hour ago, Firstin87 said:

I believe that NCL charges for the wifi as a full package, not by the day or pro-rated.  We've often had 'only' 300 min. of wifi and found it to be plenty for checking email/texts when not in port.  If you've got 300 min. (per person, by the way, in case you are travelling with someone and they are also concerned about the amount of wifi time) for 1.5 days, you should be OK.  We had 300 min. for our 15 day Transatlantic last spring (which had 7 sea days) and found it to be enough for checking emails 1-2x a day when not in part and even had some time left at the end.  If you've got T-Mobile as your cell carrier, Bermuda is part of your plan and you get free texts there.  

Most Bermuda cruises are only 7 days so I think only 150 minutes per person?

The cost of the unlimited internet plans go down each day because they are prorated but you have to purchase from the time you start until the end of the cruise.  So you can't purchase for just one day during the cruise.  I'm not sure how far into the cruise you can purchase the prorated package. 

I don't remember if it was on Dawn or Bliss (or both) this year that there actually was an offer towards the end of the cruise to buy some sort fo 24 hour pass. "For things you need to arrange now that the cruise is almost over" - or similar. I had no need for it so I didn't look further into it. But maybe someone else has seen this?

On 7/20/2024 at 2:10 PM, DorothyB said:

Most Bermuda cruises are only 7 days so I think only 150 minutes per person?

The cost of the unlimited internet plans go down each day because they are prorated but you have to purchase from the time you start until the end of the cruise.  So you can't purchase for just one day during the cruise.  I'm not sure how far into the cruise you can purchase the prorated package. 

Thank you @DorothyB.  I didn't know this and will make a note of it in case we ever need to buy a wifi package.

Based on my recent experience on Escape, It is prorated but not up front.  If you purchase the package using the NCL app, the price offered will be for all of the remaining days, but will be lower as each day goes by.  I don’t believe you can say on day 1 “I want the package, but only the last few days”.