Should we do a resort day in Mazatlan or Cabo?

Husband and I are cruising Carnival Panorama with our two boys ages 5 and 9 in two weeks. Our excursion options are limited because of my younger son's age and the fact that it's going to be so hot. Additionally, I want to only book through the ship since my boys and myself are traveling without passports.

We've decided to book one resort day booked through Carnival but I can't decide if I should choose Mazatlan (El Cid Marina Hotel) or Cabo San Lucas (Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort). If anyone has done these excursions through Carnival and or visited these hotels I'd love some feedback. Both tours include alcohol but that is not a priority for us. I'm mainly looking for a nice experience with pools and/or beaches. Thank you!

Personally, we don't do resorts, but if I had to it would be in Cabo.  There is so much more to do and see locally in Mazatlan. Cabo marina area just reminds me of Long Beach with more people selling drugs on the beach. 🙂

Posted (edited)

I would do the resort day in Mazatlan. I didn't find this to be an interesting port. Lots to do in Cabo. Take a small boat from the pier (about $10 pp) and they will take you by the arches and will drop you off in Medino Beach (where all the resorts are) if you want and you can spend the day at the beach there, have a nice lunch at one of the many restaurants there or get a nice massage. Then you can either take a water taxi back, walk back or take a taxi back to the port where you can do some shopping in town before you go back to the ship. There is also a place to swim with dolphins right by the port. Enjoy

Edited by 1Lina
spelling

23 hours ago, pppiglet said:

Personally, we don't do resorts, but if I had to it would be in Cabo.  There is so much more to do and see locally in Mazatlan. Cabo marina area just reminds me of Long Beach with more people selling drugs on the beach. 🙂

Thank you for the feedback! I don't personally do resorts on cruises either (this will be the first time) but it seems to be the best choice with our limitations this time. I wish we could wander around the ports and explore but the kids are going to melt, they need to be submerged in water or it's going to be miserable. 🤪

21 hours ago, 1Lina said:

I would do the resort day in Mazatlan. I didn't find this to be an interesting port. Lots to do in Cabo. Take a small boat from the pier (about $10 pp) and they will take you by the arches and will drop you off in Medino Beach (where all the resorts are) if you want and you can spend the day at the beach there, have a nice lunch at one of the many restaurants there or get a nice massage. Then you can either take a water taxi back, walk back or take a taxi back to the port where you can do some shopping in town before you go back to the ship. There is also a place to swim with dolphins right by the port. Enjoy

These are some great suggestions, thank you so much! I think Cabo might be our best bet for a "wing it" day.

On 7/21/2024 at 10:21 AM, PaddleAddict said:

Husband and I are cruising Carnival Panorama with our two boys ages 5 and 9 in two weeks. Our excursion options are limited because of my younger son's age and the fact that it's going to be so hot. Additionally, I want to only book through the ship since my boys and myself are traveling without passports.

We've decided to book one resort day booked through Carnival but I can't decide if I should choose Mazatlan (El Cid Marina Hotel) or Cabo San Lucas (Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort). If anyone has done these excursions through Carnival and or visited these hotels I'd love some feedback. Both tours include alcohol but that is not a priority for us. I'm mainly looking for a nice experience with pools and/or beaches. Thank you!

I’ve been to these ports many times. Since you have the kiddos with you, my suggestion would be to do the resort in Mazatlán. I’ve never been to this resort but I’ve heard it gets good reviews. It’s a very industrial port and you have to take a short tram ride out to the terminal. There isn’t really anything there right at the port.

In Cabo, you’ll take about a 10 minute tender (water shuttle) ride to the marina, it is very walkable with lots of shops and restaurants. You can always stop for drinks and lunch or snacks. 

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise.

What time is your ship in Cabo?  Do you have any status with the cruise line?  Because Cabo is a tender port, some of the Cabo visits are very short, and the tenders are boarded by passengers based on their status, and "the status of being on a Cruiseline excursion" comes high on the list.  You and the kids can get ashore an hour or more earlier if you have a cruiseship excursion.

I personally find much more to do in Mazatlan than in Cabo.  I'd do Cabo = resorts, Mazatlan = independent tour (a golf cart to downtown Cathedral, and visit to the Market, maybe to Liverpool Beatles Experience, and then back to the ship to recuperate from the heat).  Don't forget Stone Island.  And it is time that those younguns learned the joy of a frozen drink (virgin maybe) on a hot day, at the Cruise Passenger Terminal just outside the ship!

Have a great visit!

58 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

What time is your ship in Cabo?  Do you have any status with the cruise line?  Because Cabo is a tender port, some of the Cabo visits are very short, and the tenders are boarded by passengers based on their status, and "the status of being on a Cruiseline excursion" comes high on the list.  You and the kids can get ashore an hour or more earlier if you have a cruiseship excursion.

I personally find much more to do in Mazatlan than in Cabo.  I'd do Cabo = resorts, Mazatlan = independent tour (a golf cart to downtown Cathedral, and visit to the Market, maybe to Liverpool Beatles Experience, and then back to the ship to recuperate from the heat).  Don't forget Stone Island.  And it is time that those younguns learned the joy of a frozen drink (virgin maybe) on a hot day, at the Cruise Passenger Terminal just outside the ship!

Have a great visit!

That is a great point. Cabo is 6:30 to 2:30, and since we’re not likely to wake up very early it’ll be a short day for sure.