Extra veg - how open are the dining rooms to additions / sides?

Hi all,

New to NCL and wanted to check how easy it is to have vegetables added to your meals incl. for breakfast? Im Scandi so having sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. with breakfast is a daily habit and wondering how flexible the kitchen is to these additions. On prior cruises both with Azamara , MSC and Costa they are very open to this so just want to ensure Im not coming in with the wrong expectations (below photo is of the Azamara roomservice breakfast, they must have found it funny)

Similarly for lunch and dinner, I pretty much always have a third of the plate with different vegetables - but guessing that will be easy to solve for by just asking for sides - are available sides listed anywhere or is it a case of asking for specific items?

20221214_095610.jpg

This should be no problem.

If you go to any of the buffet breakfasts, then there will be all kinds of options to choose from including tomatoes, mushrooms and cucumbers and all kinds of fruits.  Often, there are various cheeses, salami and possibly smoked salmon.

In the specialty dining rooms, if you have a specialty dining package, each person gets an appetizer, main, dessert and choice of 2 vegetables.

and in the main dining rooms, you can ask for anything on the menu (that doesn't say it is additional charge) without limit - I have ordered two appetizers in addition to my main course.  I've read many reports of people saying that if the menu has (for example) grilled fish with quinoa and arugula salad and chicken piccata with roasted tomatoes, sauteed garlic spinach and rigatoni gratin then you COULD order the fish with all of its sides and ask also for the garlic spinach on the side.  The classic (every day) entrees include chicken with mashed potatoes and broccoli so you could also ask for broccoli on the side.

• Like 1

If you ask for it, they will be able to get it for you in the MDR, as long as it's on the ship. They do actually have European style breakfasts on NCL ships. I've seen tomatoes, baked beans, cucumbers, etc. Just be very nice when asking, don't demand. 

One time, the maitre d' on the Escape had someone run all the way down to the storage place to get me sliced shitake mushrooms for my lunch at the buffet. And recently on the Prima, the sous chef changed the day of mushroom broth just so I would be able to have some for lunch on the day I didn't have an excursion.

If something will make you happy and they can do it without too much fuss, they will do it. Veggies at breakfast in the MDR is most likely doable.

Just ask and if it is available they will get it for you.

I often ask for avocado, on the side, with breakfast and lunch.  Similarly sauteed mushrooms.   I also prefer baked potato instead of mashed or "flavoured" for dinner.   My wife will often seek extra vegetables and less meat.

Sometimes it slows the service.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

If you ask for it, they will be able to get it for you in the MDR, as long as it's on the ship. They do actually have European style breakfasts on NCL ships. I've seen tomatoes, baked beans, cucumbers, etc. Just be very nice when asking, don't demand. 

One time, the maitre d' on the Escape had someone run all the way down to the storage place to get me sliced shitake mushrooms for my lunch at the buffet. And recently on the Prima, the sous chef changed the day of mushroom broth just so I would be able to have some for lunch on the day I didn't have an excursion.

If something will make you happy and they can do it without too much fuss, they will do it. Veggies at breakfast in the MDR is most likely doable.

Demanding something is never appropriate, thought that went without saying

Thank you for the other examples 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

Just ask and if it is available they will get it for you.

I often ask for avocado, on the side, with breakfast and lunch.  Similarly sauteed mushrooms.   I also prefer baked potato instead of mashed or "flavoured" for dinner.   My wife will often seek extra vegetables and less meat.

Sometimes it slows the service.

Brilliant! This is very helpful. Have lived in the US before so I am def. mentally preparing for the lack of simple boiled potatoes haha - will get those in port, but crossing fingers for the baked potatoes 

2 hours ago, Miss_Confused said:

Brilliant! This is very helpful. Have lived in the US before so I am def. mentally preparing for the lack of simple boiled potatoes haha - will get those in port, but crossing fingers for the baked potatoes 

They had simple boiled potatoes on my recent cruise on the Prima. Granted, it was on the "scandinavian" day at the lunch buffet for the Norway/Iceland cruise. But simple boiled potatoes might be a prime example of something the kitchen could make for you special without much work.

And you would be shocked at how many people turn into entitled, demanding cruise passengers. It's astounding. O.o

1 hour ago, Ellis1138 said:

They had simple boiled potatoes on my recent cruise on the Prima. Granted, it was on the "scandinavian" day at the lunch buffet for the Norway/Iceland cruise. But simple boiled potatoes might be a prime example of something the kitchen could make for you special without much work.

And you would be shocked at how many people turn into entitled, demanding cruise passengers. It's astounding. O.o

OMG yesssss - actually doing the Iceland, Norway cruise on Prima so crossing fingers. Do find it hilarious that for us Scandi people boiled potatoes are such a normal must have item, other countries think we are weird. I mean we eat stuff like pickled herring for breakfast and the few times we have eggs they will be boiled and with caviar on top... so we def. do slightly different food

Entitled passengers always shock me, I seriously wonder if they act like this in real life. Some people act like they can do anything because its "their vacatioooonnnn and they paid for it". Emmm you paid for a vacation not to treat people without respect

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miss_Confused said:

the few times we have eggs they will be boiled and with caviar on top...

LOL! And that "caviar" really is only "caviar" to us Scandis. Other people wonder what the hxxx that is! A sandwich with boiled eggs and "caviar"... YUM says the Swede! 😄 

Entitled!!   Sit in the atrium for an hour and watch how the Guest Services staff are treated!!   Or eat slowly in the MDR, same thing.   Even simple manners are noticeable by their absence in too many cases. 

• Like 1