Santorini with a nine year old

Tina80

Hi all,

This is our first cruise experience, we will be taking the Royal Caribbean 9 nights Greek Isles Cruise in October and will be tendered from 7 AM to 9 PM. I have my nine year old kid with me so was wondering if I should book one of the tours offered by the Royal Caribbean cruise (was looking at this one: Island of Santorini and Oia Village ($134.00 / per adult $79.00 / per child) - 5hr 30 min) or find something else? Was hoping I could get some recommendations please. This is our first trip there and I am hoping to make great memories with my kid.

Thank you in advance

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Tina80 said:

I should book one of the tours offered by the Royal Caribbean cruise (was looking at this one: Island of Santorini and Oia Village ($134.00 / per adult $79.00 / per child) - 5hr 30 min)

there is a "pinned" thread at the very top of this Greek ports forum and you may want to look at that as it is FAQs about santorini , Oia and Fira.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2739131-find-it-here-santorini-firá-and-oia-q-a/page/12/#comment-67499183

That failing, there are many many threads on this Greek Ports forum.  Here are some of them for you to choose from

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=santorini&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=463

Edited by edinburgher

No problem with the itinerary for a 9 year old, but we would have a lot of "problem" with spending $350 for that tour.  One could take the free tender into Santorini (independent travelers are taken to the tiny port of Skala) where they could purchase 3 tickets for the water taxi tour to Oia.  Not sure of the current price for that deal (they are run privately) but it would be less than half the cost of the ship's excursion.  The water taxi takes you from the pier at Skala (the same pier where you are tendered) to a pier below the town of Oia.  It includes van (or mini-bus) transfer up the steep road to Oia.  You are then on your own to enjoy Oia (a place where everyone must walk) as long as you please.  Once done with Oia, you take a bus (tickets are provided as part of this private tour) to Fira, where you are on your own until you are ready to return to the ship.  At that point you would need to get down to Skala via the cablecar, donkeys, or walking the donkey trail.  I should add that the RCI tour will most likely also end at Fira where you will be on your own to get down to Skala (where you get the return tender to your ship).

The one risk with my plan is that one never knows how long you will need to wait (once at Skala) for the next boat.

Hank

3 hours ago, edinburgher said:

there is a "pinned" thread at the very top of this Greek ports forum and you may want to look at that as it is FAQs about santorini , Oia and Fira.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2739131-find-it-here-santorini-firá-and-oia-q-a/page/12/#comment-67499183

That failing, there are many many threads on this Greek Ports forum.  Here are some of them for you to choose from

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=santorini&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=463

Thank you, very nice. I will look there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

No problem with the itinerary for a 9 year old, but we would have a lot of "problem" with spending $350 for that tour.  One could take the free tender into Santorini (independent travelers are taken to the tiny port of Skala) where they could purchase 3 tickets for the water taxi tour to Oia.  Not sure of the current price for that deal (they are run privately) but it would be less than half the cost of the ship's excursion.  The water taxi takes you from the pier at Skala (the same pier where you are tendered) to a pier below the town of Oia.  It includes van (or mini-bus) transfer up the steep road to Oia.  You are then on your own to enjoy Oia (a place where everyone must walk) as long as you please.  Once done with Oia, you take a bus (tickets are provided as part of this private tour) to Fira, where you are on your own until you are ready to return to the ship.  At that point you would need to get down to Skala via the cablecar, donkeys, or walking the donkey trail.  I should add that the RCI tour will most likely also end at Fira where you will be on your own to get down to Skala (where you get the return tender to your ship).

The one risk with my plan is that one never knows how long you will need to wait (once at Skala) for the next boat.

Hank

Thank you for sharing you plan, it certainly looks doable. I will have to do some reading to catch up 🙂