Medicare + Tricare for life on cruise

rideev

• 3 weeks later...

While I have not had to use my TFL (knocking on wood) while on a cruise.  I have talked to the benefits people at TFL. I would highly recommend a call to them, as they explained it to me pretty well, but I am not sure that my fingers can thoroughly repeat everything.  

A couple takeaways from my call were once you leave the US port you are no longer covered by Medicare.  However you are covered by the overseas portion of TFL, so while you may have to pay upfront and then submit for reimbursement, you would need to reach out to them within a 24 hr period (? please check this timing per time zone variance) .   

They actually now have a TFL Overseas app you can download - the MyCare Overseas™ mobile app and to learn more, visit tricare-overseas.com/beneficiary-app

I hope this helps some,  The explanation I got was much more detailed.   

Jay 

My wife got sick on two different NCL cruises.   We went to the Medical Center each time (with follow up visits ).   We filed the claim with TFL and we were reimbursed the full amount within a month.  No questions, no hassle.

It worked for us.  My wife broke her arm ten days before we were to fly to Dover for an 89 day cruise on Princess.  The medical center x-rayed her arm and removed the cast and of course submitted me a bill.  I paid it and went to the Tricare office at the Naval Hospital, Bremerton when we returned with the statement.  They took care of it in a month or so.

Ray