Invite to Dinner at Captain's Table on Celebrity

On 7/28/2024 at 11:05 AM, phoenix_dream said:

Wow I'm jealous.  Glad they did that for you.  To illustrate how these things vary ship to ship or sailing to sailing, on our 40th anniversary, we told our room steward, butler, and our Maitre d', as well as our TA.  What did they do for us?  Nothing.  No room decorations, no cake in the dining room, definitely no free dinner.  We treated ourselves to Tuscan and had a nice dinner but it was pretty disappointing to say the least, especially since it was our 70th or so Celebrity cruise and we were Elite Plus at the time.  

Our anniversary is over the Christmas holidays and we have taken 6 or 7 cruises over our anniversary. Only once did anyone do anything special. This was probably in 2017 or 2018, we were likely E then, and we would have been in either a verandah or AQ (we're not suite dwellers). The Captain's Club hostess sent a floral arrangement and chocolate covered strawberries. It was really lovely.

In comparison, we travelled 2 weeks ago for my husband's birthday and stayed at a 'nice/splurge' hotel. The desk clerk asked if we were celebrating anything, I mentioned the birthday, and that evening there was a bottle of champagne and big bowl of fresh berries in the room. Definitely left an impression, as did that CC hostess that sent us something on our anniversary. 

These are little things that we remember. Like the Captain's Table. Makes us feel like we're celebrities. That used to be a thing on X, right? 😜

• Like 1

This ended after the pandemic. The "Captain's Table" in the Main Dining Room was more a Royal thing than a Celebrity thing once Aqua Class started eating in Blu and Suites started eating in Luminae.

Instead, it was hosted in a specialty restaurant. It could be the Captain, the Hotel Director, the Staff Captain, or other senior officers. Generally, it was in Tuscan or Silk Harvest. The food and wine would flow freely - generally they'd serve salads and appetizers family style. You'd see most, if not all of the items on those parts of the menu. At Silk Harvest, you'd get pretty much everything family style. At Tuscan, you'd pick an entree in addition to all the appetizers and sides. 

More than once, dinner also included an invitation to a tour - usually the bridge or the engine control room. So, the group who dined together would gather again a few days later for their tour. Got to meet some very interesting people - and hear some good stories. 

My husband and I were invited to join the Captain's Table, hosted by the Hotel Director, on our first Celebrity cruise in 2014.

As we were leaving Blu after breakfast on the Reflection, the Captain's Club hostess commented on my dress and we started a conversation. I told her I had already signed up for the Captains Club online. I mentioned that it was especially fun being a guest on board as I had worked as a crew member on another line many moons ago. She then asked us if we'd like to join the Hotel Director and some other guests on the second formal night for dinner so we happily accepted. I have a feeling it was being a former crew member that led to the invite. Everyone always wants to talk about what it was like behind the scenes!

It was a lovely evening with an interesting mix of tablemates including a Vietnam veteran and his wife, a journalist couple from the UK and an executive who was the CEO of a very large US chain. (We were definitely the "Beverly Hillbillies" of the group! LOL!) We met for champagne in Cellar Masters and walked to the MDR together. A suit jacket would have been fine but my husband was glad he packed his tux!

We had rented an alcove the following day and several of our new friends popped by in the afternoon for more drinks and chats. 

We typically prefer a table for two but that night was very memorable. Less than six weeks to our next Celebrity adventure on the Solstice to Alaska! 🙂

• Like 1

If you don't ask....you don't get. /  Don't wait to be asked.

Suggest you politely ask the CC host/hostess that you would be interested in joining an officer's table.  See what happens.

We have both done the Captain's table thing and also declined the invite to allow others to experience it.  It's fun....the first time,but once was enough for us.