Message facility

Posted (edited)

Hi there, I have been on CC for many years and it seems my message feature has been disabled.

Can you assist please....thanks, also am I allowed to send messages to members on my roll call please>?

FYI: I just changed my member email address as it said my old one had been blocked by CC....

Edited by rog747

1 hour ago, rog747 said:

Hi there, I have been on CC for many years and it seems my message feature has been disabled.

Can you assist please....thanks 

FYI: I just changed my member email address as it said my old one had been blocked by CC....

Hello @rog747

Regarding the Cruise Critic message board Message feature, it is enabled for use by Administrators & Hosts ONLY. We can use it with each other and to members. The Message feature is disabled for members and has been I think since Cruise Critic was part of AOL over twenty-five years ago. I do know for sure it was that way when I joined Cruise Critic in 2005 as a member and then was later invited to be a non-paid volunteer Cruise Critic Host.

In the olden days when the Cruise Critic message board used vBulletin software, if you and another member had your own registered identities for certain instant messaging networks and placed the info in your Cruise Critic profiles, you would then be able to contact each other via those networks. Waaaay back then you could click on User CP or Quick Links then Edit Profile and then scroll down to the Optional Information - All information will be viewable by other forum members section. There you would see the following:

Instant Messaging

You may enter your registered identity for the instant messaging networks if you would like other visitors to be able to contact you using that medium.

• ICQ Number 
  • AIM Screen Name 
  • MSN Messenger Handle 
  • Yahoo! Messenger Handle 
  • Skype Name

Once you entered your registered identity info of one of those networks and clicked the Save Changes button waaaay back then, your instant messaging network logo would then appear in all your Cruise Critic posts with your join date & post count. You and other Cruise Critic members with the same instant messaging network would be able to click the logos appearing on Cruise Critic posts to contact each other via the network.

However, those days are loooong gone now that Invision Community software has been used by the Cruise Critic message board since October 2018.

Regarding your email address of record, in June 2023 we started warning the members that the log in process was going to change. We stated, "We'll shortly be requiring you to use your email address to log in, so please check to make sure you have a current, valid email in your account today!" At that time, a member only needed their user name and password to log in. Then in October 2023 we had a software problem and we stated, "Email address updates are not currently working. We will advise when they are again available." That was fixed and I think around December 2023 the log in process changed to members having to use their email address of record and password. Perhaps your account was compromised somehow during that time.

Now if you have used the Follow feature on threads and forums to be notified by email when there are new posts, I am not sure how many Cruise Critic email notifications you are receiving per day or at a time. It could be your email provider is aggressive to prevent spam. Thinking that multiple emails in a row from Cruise Critic would be spam, they bounce one of the Cruise Critic emails back to Cruise Critic. Once one of the Cruise Critic notification emails to you is bounced back to Cruise Critic, then the Cruise Critic software automatically stops sending any further notification emails. 

Please email help@cruisecritic.com from your current Cruise Critic email address of record and mention your user name. This is so your membership can be verified, and reply sent to your current Cruise Critic email address of record. Explain the above possible bounce back situation in your email. Ask if the situation applies to your Cruise Critic account. IIRC our CC Help Michell, UGC Content Coordinator, can possibly investigate for the bounce back situation and possibly correct.

Perhaps you accidently marked one of the Cruise Critic emails as Spam. If so, I suggest you contact your email provider to see if that can be corrected.

Another thing, please make sure you have the email address cruisecritic@invisioncloudcommunity.com whitelisted and/or on your safe senders list in your Address Book contacts.

Hope this information (and little history lesson from Memory Lane 😀) will be helpful! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Kat said:

Hello @rog747

Regarding the Cruise Critic message board Message feature, it is for use by Administrators & Hosts ONLY. We can use it with each other and to members. The Message feature is disabled for members and has been I think since Cruise Critic was part of AOL over twenty-five years ago. I do know for sure it was that way when I joined Cruise Critic in 2005 as a member and then was later invited to be a non-paid volunteer Cruise Critic Host.

In the olden days when the Cruise Critic message board used vBulletin software, if you and another member had your own registered identities for certain instant messaging networks and placed the info in your Cruise Critic profiles, you would then be able to contact each other via those networks. Waaaay back then you could click on User CP or Quick Links then Edit Profile and then scroll down to the Optional Information - All information will be viewable by other forum members section. There you would see the following:

Instant Messaging

You may enter your registered identity for the instant messaging networks if you would like other visitors to be able to contact you using that medium.

• ICQ Number 
  • AIM Screen Name 
  • MSN Messenger Handle 
  • Yahoo! Messenger Handle 
  • Skype Name

Once you entered your registered identity info of one of those networks and clicked the Save Changes button waaaay back then, your instant messaging network logo would then appear in all your Cruise Critic posts with your join date & post count. You and other Cruise Critic members with the same instant messaging network would be able to click the logos appearing on Cruise Critic posts to contact each other via the network.

However, those days are loooong gone now that Invision Community software has been used by the Cruise Critic message board since October 2018.

Regarding your email address of record, in June 2023 we started warning the members that the log in process was going to change. We stated, "We'll shortly be requiring you to use your email address to long in, so please check to make sure you have a current, valid email in your account today!" In October 2023 we had a software problem and we stated, "Email address updates are not currently working.  We will advise when they are again available." That was fixed and I think around December 2023 the log in process changed. Perhaps your account was compromised somehow during that time.

Now if you have used the Follow feature on threads and forums to be notified by email when there are new posts, I am not sure how many Cruise Critic email notifications you are receiving per day or at a time. It could be your email provider is aggressive to prevent spam. Thinking that multiple emails in a row from Cruise Critic would be spam, they bounce one of the Cruise Critic emails back to Cruise Critic. Once one of the Cruise Critic notification emails to you is bounced back to Cruise Critic, then the Cruise Critic software automatically stops sending any further notification emails. 

Please email help@cruisecritic.com from your current Cruise Critic email address of record and mention your user name. This is so your membership can be verified, and reply sent to your current Cruise Critic email address of record. Explain the above possible bounce back situation in your email. Ask if the situation applies to your Cruise Critic account. IIRC our CC Help Michell, UGC Content Coordinator, can possibly investigate for the bounce back situation and possibly correct.

Perhaps you accidently marked one of the Cruise Critic emails as Spam. If so, I suggest you contact your email provider to see if that can be corrected.

Another thing, please make sure you have the email address cruisecritic@invisioncloudcommunity.com whitelisted and/or on your safe senders list in your Address Book contacts.

Hope this information (and little history lesson from Memory Lane 😀) will be helpful! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Gosh, many thanks indeed Host Kat - how things have changed lol

I've had bit of a couple of challenging years since 2022, cancer, bereavement and a major spinal op back in April.

I am cruising again this week on Cunard H418 QA 28th July and trying to touch base with other members re joining me on a shared tour, 

I will email as suggested to help@cruisecritic.com 

any suggestions how to connect the other guests ? 
can I post my cabin number or any personal details or not>?   

TIA

On 7/24/2024 at 1:31 AM, rog747 said:

Gosh, many thanks indeed Host Kat - how things have changed lol

I've had bit of a couple of challenging years since 2022, cancer, bereavement and a major spinal op back in April.

I am cruising again this week on Cunard H418 QA 28th July and trying to touch base with other members re joining me on a shared tour, 

I will email as suggested to help@cruisecritic.com 

any suggestions how to connect the other guests ? 
can I post my cabin number or any personal details or not>?   

TIA

You are most welcome and glad to be of service!

I too have had 3 visits to the hospital earlier this year, so I know what that is like. It was all the home care nurses, PT and OT therapists for months after that was the hardest part for me. Being back home is wonderful, but not being able to function as I had in the past has been rough for me. I also lost my two best friends I have known since 1955 and 1968 so I fully understand bereavement. Thanks to a wonderful niece and her son I will get to cruise with them in about a month. I will be using a motorized fold-up wheelchair for the first time to get around on the ship. I do not have the stamina to just use a walker as I do here in my small apartment. My last cruise was Christmas/New Year 2017, and the withdrawal has not been fun at all! Cruise Critic has kept me from going insane!

Now back to business...

Please note the following portion from the Posting and You! section in Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Answer Posts on the Boards, Not Via Email!
Please try to answer message board posts on the boards instead of E-mail when appropriate. There is a lot of great information that we're all missing because it is passing through private E-mail. There are of course times when private E-mail is more appropriate but if you have information that would be helpful to many people, please try to come back to the boards and post it rather than replying to a posting through E-mail.

And also from another section in the Guidelines:

On Cruise Critic roll calls, everyone is anonymous. You have the ability to remain as anonymous as you'd like throughout the entire Roll Call timeframe and throughout your entire cruise if you so desire. You can be JoeCruise101 until the day you disembark. The choice is yours, you share as much or as little as YOU choose to; everyone starts out on a level playing field on Cruise Critic...

Cruise Critic values the privacy and security of all our members. That is why you are asked to use an anonymous user name when registering for membership. If your personal email address must be posted on one of our boards, it should be posted as whatever name at wherever dot com dot uk with spaces & spelling the words "at" and "dot". This should help prevent automated harvesting by spambots. Most members will know what you are doing. When they key in your email address to email you, they know it is to be keyed in using the normal format for email addresses. Or, just set up another special email account that is just for correspondence relating to the Cruise Critic message boards. That way your personal email account cannot be compromised. And as for your cabin number & other personal information... in this day and age and the rampant identity theft etc., it is up to you. However, Cruise Critic would rather you did not for your safety.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Thanks 1