Transatlantic Feedback: Canada, Iceland, UK and France

Hello all

I'm debating what to do for my first 'European' cruise and am looking for some feedback on this one.  Has anyone done it before?

14-Day Transatlantic: France & England
Out of NYC, on the Prima
NYC*At Sea*Halifax*St. Pierre*St. Johns*At Sea*At Sea*Reykjavik (Overnight)*At Sea*Belfast*Liverpool*At Sea*Paris*London

I'm liking the mix of places (Canada, Iceland, UK, Paris) but it is a bit light on the rest of Europe.  Still, it's just the first European cruise, not the only hopefully!

Still, curious if anyone has done it and their thoughts.

The cruise of course is not going to Paris (nor to London, either).   Paris is hours away from the port of Le Havre.  The best way to see the extraordinary city of Paris is a land trip, with as many days there as you can spend. 

• Like 4

I just returned from a Reykjavik to New York cruise that hit several of your ports. 

Halifax is a nice port, they have a great harborwalk area, and some really good naval history. 

In  St. Pierre very little was open until afternoon and our tenders were scheduled to finish at 2 PM, so everyone waited until late to go out.  It was an okay stop, but it was not one of my favorites.

St. John's had a great welcome at the dock with Newfoundland dogs to pet and a band playing music to welcome us.  Part of the downtown area is converted to a pedestrian only street making it nice for tourists. I liked visiting mile 0 of the Terry Fox marathon of hope.  

I really enjoyed Reykjavik and we spent a few days there before the cruise.  Doing an overnight should allow you to take a bus tour for the south coast or golden circle.  There is a lava show in Reykjavik that sounded like a childish thing to me, but was a really great experience and I honestly enjoyed it a lot.  The "rye-bread ice-cream" at Cafe Loki, and the Lamb soup in a bread bowl were our favorite foods in Reykjavik.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The cruise of course is not going to Paris (nor to London, either).   Paris is hours away from the port of Le Havre.  The best way to see the extraordinary city of Paris is a land trip, with as many days there as you can spend. 

Agree!

Matter of fact, OP if you're trying to hit all the Europe hot spots on one cruise, it's not  going to be on the one you're looking at.

Generally speaking, Mid-Southern European ports are Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Malta, focused on Mediterranean ports.  If you want that, look at those itineraries.

Or, even better, do the cruise you're looking at and then book a back-to-back for a cruise that hits the ports outlined above.

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Yes, I know it's La Havre and Southampton, just easier to put it as the cities it listed 🙂 

A multi day trip to Paris is of interest, but the problem is, it's not on a ship, so it probably won't happen lol

This is a challenge with many places we want to go (Switzerland being a prime example), but that aren't on the water.  We love cruising so much we are really struggling to break away.

Our current thought is to tack on days before.  So for example, when we do a cruise out of Italy, go to Switzerland first, spend a few days, then head down to Italy for the cruise.  Or if we do a cruise out of Southampton, take the Chunnel to Paris and spend a few days there before boarding.

1 hour ago, KDebreuil said:

St. John's had a great welcome at the dock with Newfoundland dogs to pet and a band playing music to welcome us.  Part of the downtown area is converted to a pedestrian only street making it nice for tourists. I liked visiting mile 0 of the Terry Fox marathon of hope.  

You had me at pet dogs 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Agree!

Matter of fact, OP if you're trying to hit all the Europe hot spots on one cruise, it's not  going to be on the one you're looking at.

Generally speaking, Mid-Southern European ports are Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Malta, focused on Mediterranean ports.  If you want that, look at those itineraries.

Or, even better, do the cruise you're looking at and then book a back-to-back for a cruise that hits the ports outlined above.

Thanks!  There are a few others we are looking at, including a really nice Italian Riviera one.

One that's not on NCL that I really like is a European Capitals one and that's top of the list to.  It goes London*Brussels*Rotterdam*At Sea*Oslo*Gothenburg*Copenhagen*Aahrus*At Sea*Hamburg*At Sea*Le Havre*London