Torn Between Two Suite Categories (Yacht Club) Royal or Duplex on New World America

You can see the hot tub covered in the photo - can’t be seen if you are at the back of the tub but can be seen if sat at the front of the tub. 

Smoking area is on the starboard side of the ship so busier than port side, should be quieter above 16003.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

So anyone looking over would be able to see us if we were at the railing but what about sitting in the hot tub?

We’re in 16003. I’m currently finishing my wine in the restaurant, but I was planning on doing a walk of the Top Sail promenade after. I’ll see what I can do. 

• Like 2

Port side, Royal Suite followed by the 3 Dulpexes. 16003 being in the middle. To be honest, there’s not much in it between the Duplexes - they all have a private area at the back of the top balcony and a corner of the hot tub that is well screened. If you want privacy, it looks like RS is best.

What’s also worth noting is that there is very little light pollution in the forward Duplexes, if no one else in the row leaves their deck lights on. Sadly, our neighbour has left theirs on and our butler was reluctant to get involved. We’ve not had chance to talk to the occupants - we suspect it’s by accident not design they’ve been left on. The light switches are generally confusing. 

IMG_2778.jpeg

IMG_2779.jpeg

IMG_2780.jpeg

IMG_2781.jpeg

• Thanks 2

One could not possibly comment. 

I would mention that in all the ports thus far, we have docked stern to. Thus, unless you have another cruise ship docked in front, it’s probably a bit better than elsewhere on the ship for being overlooked from off-ship. 

6 hours ago, P2l said:

What’s also worth noting is that there is very little light pollution in the forward Duplexes, if no one else in the row leaves their deck lights on. Sadly, our neighbour has left theirs on and our butler was reluctant to get involved.

Butler came good. Very little light pollution to spoil our lightning show tonight!

• Like 3

Short video from the upper balcony this morning. The calm after the storm last night (hot tub got good use watching the lightning show). Posted mostly in an attempt to illustrate just how quiet & peaceful this ship can be - zero engine noise. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the storm that seemed so impressive for us was also the one that sank a super yacht, with one confirmed fatality and 6 others missing. Nature is spectacular but sometimes deadly. 

8 hours ago, P2l said:

Unfortunately, the storm that seemed so impressive for us was also the one that sank a super yacht, with one confirmed fatality and 6 others missing. Nature is spectacular but sometimes deadly. 

I was thinking of you when I read about that tragic incident. Aluminum hulled sailboats with all that windage don’t fair well when they broach. I’ve done it before and lived. Horrifying. 

• 2 weeks later...

We're considering trying MSC YC next year after 5 cruises and one upcoming on NCL in either Haven or suite class and the duplex suite intrigues me.

How windy are the 2 balconies while underway?  On NCL,we've always sailed in Aft suites, so wind was never an issue.

Thanks...

From zero to gale force. It all depends on the ship and wind direction.

We’ve been out in the hot tub in apparent 40kt winds, apart from a bit of

whistling it didn’t bother us one jot.

• Like 1

Worst we had was blustery, but never unusable. The assistant butler ensured the furniture was securely tied in the evening, as did we if we used it again after we got in at the end of the night (not uncommon, as the balcony is great for looking at the sky).

• Like 2