Distilled Water

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Okaaay.  Maybe on land.  Even the dumbest housekeeping staff would see a damaged cord, which is the major danger of a cord in itself, and on a ship where the crew is dependent on the passengers' goodwill, they would not give out a defective cord, which could result in complaints and loss of income. 

Sure, a gnarled up cord would be tossed but cords don't need to be that bad to be unsafe. Question is why subject a valuable piece of personal equipment to a cord that you don't know the history.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Sure, a gnarled up cord would be tossed but cords don't need to be that bad to be unsafe. Question is why subject a valuable piece of personal equipment to a cord that you don't know the history.  

So tell me, what damage to a CPAP could a damaged extension cord cause?  And, again, what is unsafe about a cord, unless it is "gnarled up"?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

purer than distilled.

Again, by definition, there is nothing "purer" than distilled.  And, yes, I feel that if you get water from a water dispenser in the buffet, or from the cabin steward, or even melted ice, it will have come from a machine that has an additional carbon filter on it, and is near to distilled purity.

Now, I will add that the addition of calcium carbonate (the active ingredient in Tums antacid) to neutralize the slightly acidic distilled water, makes the ship's water better for you than drinking distilled water, but not "purer".

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 4

While I agree that the ship's water is fine and all you really need to do is make sure you clean the reservoir daily (which they say should be done anyway but I imagine most of us don't), it's only 4 bucks. I'm surprised Carnival hasn't sourced smaller jugs of it, my gallon jug lasts me weeks, but they would probably still charge 4 bucks, or probably higher anyway.

22 hours ago, ragethjj23 said:

Yaaa you’re probably right, they take away power strips if they might be a surge protector, but they’ll risk an extension cord that might be a fire risk. 

the cord I was leant on Royal recently was heavy duty and looked brand spanken new. It was nice not having to worry about packing one and they provided distilled water!

Same here, a brand new cord was provided by Royal.  Royal also says that extension cords are prohibited items. I still had the one I always have with my CPAP. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ngrund said:

Same here, a brand new cord was provided by Royal.  Royal also says that extension cords are prohibited items. I still had the one I always have with my CPAP. 

Lat cruise on Royal I took an extention cord, but I accepted ahead of time it might get taken, no issues.

I do remember table after table of power strips waiting to be claimed upon completion though.

Edited by DeniseTr
Spelling

1 hour ago, DeniseTr said:

Lat cruise on Royal I took an extention cord, but I accepted ahead of time it might get taken, no issues.

I do remember table after table of power strips waiting to be claimed upon completion though.

Yep, i just had my cord in my CPAP bag right by its cord. I needed to have it for precruise use, and if they took it, oh well. At least on Royls new ships they have outlets neer the bed.

On my last three Carnival cruises I poured the distilled water for my CPAP into a water bottle at home, labeled it "Distilled Water for CPAP" and carried it onboard with me in my carry-on luggage.  I told the security screener I had it and in all three cases was told it was fine to bring it onboard.  This is my personal experience and YMMV so please don't start quoting Carnival rules about carrying on liquids.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SunsetCruizen said:

On my last three Carnival cruises I poured the distilled water for my CPAP into a water bottle at home, labeled it "Distilled Water for CPAP" and carried it onboard with me in my carry-on luggage.  I told the security screener I had it and in all three cases was told it was fine to bring it onboard.  This is my personal experience and YMMV so please don't start quoting Carnival rules about carrying on liquids.

Well, actually (ducking!), Carnival does say you can bring on your own distilled water for your CPAP in the Special Needs section, but it doesn't specify how it needs to be brought on. I was wondering if you could do what you said you did since the beverage policy says no water in bottles. Might have my sister try that for her CPAP for our Sept 5 day cruise. If they take it, then she can chance using the water from the buffet water dispenser or order the distilled from room service.

And re the extension cord, the Special Needs section used to say not to bring a cord but request one (that's what my sister did before), now it says to bring your own and pack it in the case with your machine.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good grief!  I can't get over how some people make such a big deal out of all kinds of crap.

It's too easy to order a gallon of distilled water in advance so it's waiting for you in your room.  It's also too easy to throw an extension cord in your bag. I do it every cruise and it takes minimum effort.

What is going on in this country...what happened to people?

Adding....I know some people say that tap water is fine, and to each his/her own.  I just sleep a lot better at night using distilled water.  Also, there is distilled water that you can buy that can be packed in your luggage.  It's for medical purposes; my wifey bought some for our trip to Europe in June and the TSA screeners allowed it in my carry on with no problem.

Edited by vacruisin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My concern is not the cost or ease but how much trash do all the empty jugs generate? If they were so concerned w/ straws and such, why not the jugs? I don't use a CPAP, so I'm not sure how much water is used each night, but I know my sister doesn't use a whole jug in a week. She's only one jug, but it adds up ....

• Haha 1

While I'm sure, based on previous experience, I could bring my own distilled water, (I hate plastic waste so got my own distiller), realistically it makes no sense to fly with that added weight. 

Could get at store in NY before I cruise, but at that point would be saving about $2.00, certainly not worth the hassle for that savings if I'm not reducing plastic use.

7 hours ago, straitlover1965 said:

My concern is not the cost or ease but how much trash do all the empty jugs generate? If they were so concerned w/ straws and such, why not the jugs? I don't use a CPAP, so I'm not sure how much water is used each night, but I know my sister doesn't use a whole jug in a week. She's only one jug, but it adds up ....

I use a CPAP and my empty jugs go out in the recycling with the rest of our household recycling. The ships do separate recycling as well. 

6 hours ago, DanJ said:

I use a CPAP and my empty jugs go out in the recycling with the rest of our household recycling. The ships do separate recycling as well. 

Of which about 10% (the most generous number out there) actually gets recycled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, straitlover1965 said:

I would think the bigger deal with straws is they are used by the thousands each day and are somewhat likely to end up going overboard since they are small and easily blown away on deck or balconies when empty cups are left unattended. I imagine almost all of the gallon jugs make it into the waste stream on board whether they get recycled or not instead of potentially going overboard into the water.