*LIVE* from the Norwegian Encore – 7-Night Alaska and Glacier Bay August 11-18, 2024

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Non-Haven boarding started at 10:45 a.m. today. The order of boarding was ADA, Paid Priority Boarding, priority Latitudes members, General Boarding by Group Number. 

Thank you, always good to know for my group as we will be doing the same cruise next June.

Did you stay at the Marriott again as I believe that is where you usually stay?

Looking forward to reading your report this week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for such detailed info! I especially like the MDR menus and what the buffet is serving each night.

I'm also envious of the Alaskan Salmon, which I suspect is only for when the Encore is in Alaska. They probably won't have it for a transatlantic. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

Looking forward to reading your detailed trip report.  Have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you. 

Any day at sea beats a day at home on the sofa!  

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

Did you stay at the Marriott again as I believe that is where you usually stay?

The Birds stay at The Charter House hotel by Hilton about 2 blocks from Pikes Market. We stay there because there are a lot of restaurants and it is close to the cruise port. 

1 hour ago, Ellis1138 said:

I'm also envious of the Alaskan Salmon, which I suspect is only for when the Encore is in Alaska. They probably won't have it for a transatlantic. 

Yeah, there will be fish, but not fresh Alaskan salmon. 

Note: All fish and meats (even sushi fish) has to be frozen before coming onto the ship due to health regularions. So, while the salmon is “fresh”, it has been frozen for delivery to the ship. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yeah, there will be fish, but not fresh Alaskan salmon. 

Note: All fish and meats (even sushi fish) has to be frozen before coming onto the ship due to health regularions. So, while the salmon is “fresh”, it has been frozen for delivery to the ship. 

yah, I know everything is frozen, including the Alaska salmon. I honestly don't know why I'm so fixated on the replacement of salmon in classics with tilapia. 

I can make my own salmon at home. Every week I do. Or maybe that's the problem; I'm used to having salmon once a week for dinner and used to be able to continue that on cruises, but not now. (And lox or smoked salmon for bagels doesn't count.)

Thank you for your reviews, which are always super informative.

Thanks for the detailed report. Spouse’s job is in capital projects and requires access to internet for meetings with board members and does not allow him to delegate. We want to book this cruise, but may have to accept we can’t go on this exact cruise until the project is over. However, if the starlink is good, it may be possible. 

Is it possible to continue reporting on Internet?

1 hour ago, Ellis1138 said:

yah, I know everything is frozen, including the Alaska salmon. I honestly don't know why I'm so fixated on the replacement of salmon in classics with tilapia. 

I know why. For me, tilapia is a no-go. 

What makes me chuckle related to fish is that on the Prima, three different restaurants servce Mediterranean sea bass, only they fish is called by 3 different names. The other two being loupe-de-mer and branzino.

BTW, glad to be following another BirdTravels write up. 4 years ago we were supposed to be on the Encore, but eventually elected to go on the Jewel as she spent more time in port.

• Like 2

I'm going on the Encore in 2 weeks.  Is it still where we have to make reservations for shows, comedy, go karts and laser tag as soon as we get on the ship?  Do we do this from our room TV or do we have to go to a specific lounge?

14 minutes ago, GALSews said:

I know why. For me, tilapia is a no-go. 

Thank you. I'm glad there's someone else.

To be fair-minded, when I was on the Prima, I decided to try some grilled tilapia at Indulge (which IMO was the best food on the ship). I hated it. So I did try tilapia. Blech. Even flounder is better.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, iceicecool said:

I'm going on the Encore in 2 weeks.  Is it still where we have to make reservations for shows, comedy, go karts and laser tag as soon as we get on the ship?  Do we do this from our room TV or do we have to go to a specific lounge?

Per the show list posted, the only book show is Choir of Man. That can be booked online 21 days prior to departure. Bookings can be done onboard in the box office, Deck 7 forward, starboard theater entrance. You can also book on the NCL app. 

All other shows are first come first serve. 
IMG_6176.thumb.jpeg.ce51544f41f594c34ab90146536afe09.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, agent009 said:

Thanks for the detailed report. Spouse’s job is in capital projects and requires access to internet for meetings with board members and does not allow him to delegate. We want to book this cruise, but may have to accept we can’t go on this exact cruise until the project is over. However, if the starlink is good, it may be possible. 

Is it possible to continue reporting on Internet?

In general, the Internet is fine for meetings. The Starlink is a vast improvement over the old satellite internet last year. Even on the old system, I ran zoom meetings. I am interested to see how well it works in some of the narrow passages. The old system would be blocked for periods of time. Starlink is low orbit so it may be a lot better. 

• Like 1