Porto - ship to town for excursion

We arrive at 8 am at the port of Leixcos on Celebrity Equinox. The tour we’re interested in meets in Porto at 9 am. Do we have any chance of making it? Tour operator says it’s a 25 minute cab ride to meeting point. The tour only operates at 9 am. Thanks!

I don't think you should try to do it...25 minutes are probably the time if the roads are fine, but you might arrive in the middle of the morning rush hour and you never can be sure that you can leave the ship by 8 am...is there no Bord Tour doing the same ? 

Or maybe you didn't look any further, but there might be other companies doing those tours and even pick you up at the pier...

On 8/11/2024 at 8:04 PM, jmpiterniak said:

We arrive at 8 am at the port of Leixcos on Celebrity Equinox. The tour we’re interested in meets in Porto at 9 am. Do we have any chance of making it? Tour operator says it’s a 25 minute cab ride to meeting point. The tour only operates at 9 am. Thanks!

Are you heading out of town on your tour, maybe to Guimaraes and Braga, a popular tour out of Porto, because if not, you may not need a tour at all as Porto is really quite easy to explore independently once you arrive in the city from he docking area, and there are trams and taxis to take you there.

Posted (edited)
On 8/18/2024 at 7:12 PM, Vineyard View said:

Are the trams and taxis right at the port Edinburgher?  We are planning a DIY day there

VV The closest metro station is only a walk of a few hundred yards andt is called Matsoinhos (sp?)  You will see it at the end of one of the metro lines off to the left of the main metro map, or you could take a taxi depending on availability.  Info on Porto Metro should be easily found on their website. Current ticket prices, lines, timings etc.

It will take you to the older historic part of town some of which you might want to walk around, the market, Cathedral etc, also to the Dom Louis bridge for wonderful views of the waterfront at Vila Nova da Gaia below, and is very close to the Sao Bento train station which is beautifully tiled and well worth a look inside. VNDG is where you will find the many port houses, and you can choose which to visit and taste, or go on a boat tour(!) or simply watch the waterfront activity.

Past threads for Porto, also for OPorto as there are two spellings, can be found here. Choose from

Porto

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=porto&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=465

Oporto

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=oporto&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=465

And of course all the usual tourist info websites,Tripadvisor, YouTube, Frommer's, Fodors, Rick Steves, guidebooks.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, again, Edinburgher. We want to see/enjoy as much as possible - Yet, have time for  the ‘flavors’ as well (our first time here). I am on the fence about the boat….I have read that it is quite lovely and worthwhile, but not sure if I should prioritize this?  Yes, we hope to do all that  you outline here, but is adding the boat maybe costing other first time experiences recommended over that, in your opinion? 
Thank you for the links. I haven’t gotten into my Porto DIY research, but the questions and answers on this thread have been helpful. Thank you OP for starting this! 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

but is adding the boat maybe costing other first time experiences recommended over that, in your opinion? 

Sorry, but we have not taken a boat trip.  Only visited the city twice, the third time we took a shorex. First two times we explored the older part of town, the train station with the tiles, the bridge and a little garden close to it for views and photos.  there is a nice photo op from up there looking down on VNDG where you see the roofs of the various port houses with their names painted(?) on the roofs.  For anyone who enjoys a glass or two of port, this is an iconic photo.😀 As a small number of years had passed between visits 1 and 2 we toured and tasted at Grahams both times.And on the second visit there was a craft market at the waterfront and we browsed that too. We also lunched  twice at the waterfront and doing those activities plus the journey from and back to the port used our time.

I remember we had to change metro line at an interchange station called Trinidade but that was an easy switch as long as you know the name of your second line.. You would need to semi plan your day to decide which station you want to get off at. I just now looked and THINK we exited at Jardim do Morro and walked down to VNDG from there but you would need to check.From VNDG down on the waterfront we took the little funicular/cable car back uphill rather than walk this very steep incline.Some homework for you!

Note that the metro is a mix of underground and overground.  The station close to the port is overground so the metro initially looks more like a tram.

Happy homework.  We enjoyed both our days in porto.

Edited by edinburgher

As always, you are a great travel guide!  Much appreciated!  Thank you. We look forward to the experience. DH likes Port more than I, but friends here at home do as well. I would I,a fine a bottle will come home with us! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/22/2024 at 1:12 AM, Vineyard View said:

We look forward to the experience.

VV.  I came upon this by chance as the OP had asked the same question on both this board and the Celebrity one, but before replying here,and not wanting to repeat,  I checked the replies on the Celebrity one and as it  had many replies I have linked it as being potentially interesting for you.

Ignore the subject heading and read the posts for more Porto info..

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3024104-douro-valley-winery-tour-porto/#comment-67798218

Edited by edinburgher