What to do in Saguenay?

lauriedun

The dock area around the ship is nice.. likely you will be greeted with local music and "carnival" entertainers with music.   Seemed like the locals really rolled out a welcome to the cruise ship passengers.

We took a ship's excursion to Saguenay Fjord National Park.   We enjoyed it a lot.  You are bused to the Park, passing by the flood memorial (pyramid) and a couple other sites on the way.   At the park, we joined a park guide for a hike up.  It was a beautiful hike.   The ship's excursion description listed this as "strenuous" but I have found those cautions to be exaggerated a bit.   We are 60 / 54 and had no trouble with this hike, but we are good walkers.  The footing was a little tricky at some places.   I understand you can also rent a car near the ship and drive to the national park, but we did not do that.

Note the sail in and sail out up the fjord on the ship is very beautiful.   Because our excursion headed in the opposite direction I cannot comment on the city excursions.  Saguenay was our favorite port except for QC.

Have fun.

• Like 2

This past late Sept, we took the Princess ship excursion which was just transport to Saguenay Fjord National Park.  We hiked on our own, lots of lovely trails and views.  You don't really need a guide for this one; even if you just want to stay close to the Visitor Centre it was lovely and there is a grassy area down by the water you can wander around if you don't actually want to hike.  We were 59 and 65 and relatively healthy (no joint or cardiac/pulmonary issues)

I suggest getting into your swimsuit as soon as you get back and watching the sailaway from the hottub or pool at the back of your ship with a pre-dinner drink.  It was an amazing sunset and we had the huge hottub all to ourselves on the Caribbean Princess.

• Like 1

Thank you! I would be normally all over the hiking but right now I'm in a boot...cruise is 3 weeks away so I'm assuming that won't change. Is there enough at the national park to see/do that I can navigate either with a walking boot and/or knee scooter? Paved paths, areas that are more accessible?

16 hours ago, lauriedun said:

Thank you! I would be normally all over the hiking but right now I'm in a boot...cruise is 3 weeks away so I'm assuming that won't change. Is there enough at the national park to see/do that I can navigate either with a walking boot and/or knee scooter? Paved paths, areas that are more accessible?

I have only been there once for this excursion and may not have seen the whole park,  but I would say no.. there is not a lot to do if you are in a boot.   The visitor center is a small building and a trailhead for the trails that go up.   You can walk down to the water (over grassy area) to get to the water but really not a lot to do if you are on a knee scooter.   Maybe a local person could answer more completely.

Ok another question...since it sounds like the scenery is the main attraction in Saguenay, will we get to see plenty of scenery just cruising along the fjord? We arrive at Saguenay at 11am and head west to Quebec City at 7pm.

19 hours ago, lauriedun said:

Ok another question...since it sounds like the scenery is the main attraction in Saguenay, will we get to see plenty of scenery just cruising along the fjord? We arrive at Saguenay at 11am and head west to Quebec City at 7pm.

Yes, 

You will get a good look at the Fjord on the sail in and sail out.   We were on the NCL Joy, and coincidentally ate at Ocean Blue - outdoor tables during the sail out, it was very nice.

2 hours ago, CCJack said:

Yes, 

You will get a good look at the Fjord on the sail in and sail out.   We were on the NCL Joy, and coincidentally ate at Ocean Blue - outdoor tables during the sail out, it was very nice.

We are on the Joy in September!

• Like 1