Latest on Pride of America sailing

philv

Posted (edited)

Hi Folks, We are on POA August 24 and I’m wondering if anyone who sailed this summer can give me the latest on ship and destinations. Our plans are all made but wondering about things like taxi availability at pier in Kalului, Hilo, and Nawiliwili? Is Lahaina open for business? Tendering ok in Kona? Any interesting information would be appreciated.

Edited by philv

Philv, I'd like to tag along with you, as we're on POA the next week.  I'd like to know if anyone knows where NCL docks?  Also if anyone has shuttle info from hotel to pier?  I'll be watching to see if we get any info!  TIA

Hi sargemrs, We will both will be docked at pier 2B. We did this cruise in 2022 and used Uber from our Waikiki hotel. We just told driver we were on POA and he took us straight there. Easy peasy and not expensive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sargemrs said:

Philv, I'd like to tag along with you, as we're on POA the next week.  I'd like to know if anyone knows where NCL docks?  Also if anyone has shuttle info from hotel to pier?  I'll be watching to see if we get any info!  TIA

I pre booked for 4 of us the sat before thanksgiving. Was 60. Did a viator shuttle,  all at same hotel. 

The itinerary is the exact same, with exceptions for weather/wind/extreme things. 

Taxis will be waiting at the ports and Ubers/Lyft can be called.

Lahaina is still not open and won't be for quite some time. If you absolutely must go to the West side of the island, go to Kaanapali. My husband and I opted to do Upcountry and then Wailea.

Tendering at Kona was easy and when we sailed, they even had an Early Bird tender, so we didn't have to bother with tickets.

37 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

Lahaina is still not open and won't be for quite some time. If you absolutely must go to the West side of the island, go to Kaanapali. My husband and I opted to do Upcountry and then Wailea.

First day in Maui we are renting a car and driving to Lahaina to see if the banyan tree is still there. I know the courthouse (and the rest of town) is gone. Then north and I like your idea going to Kaanapali. Second day we are doing beach excursion to Wailea. 😎

8 hours ago, philv said:

First day in Maui we are renting a car and driving to Lahaina to see if the banyan tree is still there. I know the courthouse (and the rest of town) is gone. Then north and I like your idea going to Kaanapali. Second day we are doing beach excursion to Wailea. 😎

I can save you the trip. The banyan tree is still there and the various dendrologists, botanists and biologists who worked hard for months have managed to save about 45% of it. The dead parts will need to be cut off and taken away, as bore beetles are getting into it.

Do not go to Lahaina town. Please be respectful of all the people who died and the ones who surived and are still not able to return home. I don't even think they're letting tourists in yet.

If you absolutely must go to the West, remain on the Lahaina bypass and go to Ka'anapali, Kapalua, and even go to the Nakalele Blowhole.

If your only draw to the West was Lahaina, let me recommend Paia, Ho'okipa Beach Park and Upcountry (like up to Kula). Or drive up Haleakala. That's my favorite thing to do on Maui, hike around on top of a 10,000 foot mountain.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

Do not go to Lahaina town. Please be respectful of all the people who died and the ones who surived and are still not able to return home. I don't even think they're letting tourists in yet.

We visited Lahaina in 2022 before the fire. Seeing the banyan tree, if able, is our way of remembering what was lost and honoring those who were lost. I appreciate your comments otherwise.

1 hour ago, philv said:

We visited Lahaina in 2022 before the fire. Seeing the banyan tree, if able, is our way of remembering what was lost and honoring those who were lost. I appreciate your comments otherwise.

Yeah, I was there in the late 80s and through the 90s, too. Wonderful town and devastating tragedy.

I don't know if you're up for this idea, but figured to throw it out there too. Instead of just going there to look, you could offer to volunteer in Lahaina for a day, although I don't know what skills you have. But it's an additional option.

https://www.mauinuistrong.info/resource-categories/donate-services 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2024 at 5:41 PM, trivia addict said:

We are on her the week following those two weeks. First week in Sept.

Would love to hear how both of you enjoy your cruises.

I'll try to get on here after our cruise and give my rendition!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1