Preparing for Hurricane Season 2024 – What’s Your Plan?

Hey everyone,

With the 2024 hurricane season approaching, I thought it’d be great to discuss how we're all preparing. What steps are you taking to safeguard your homes and families this year? Are there any new strategies or technologies you’re trying out? Also, how do you plan to stay informed about potential storms? It’s always helpful to hear from others in the community about best practices and lessons learned from previous seasons. Let’s share tips and advice to stay safe this year!

I'm in Central Florida.  Unless the hurricane is a CAT 5 and is scheduled to come right at us...  my hurricane prep is simple.  Its business as usual.

if its a CAT 5 and heading my way, I'll get some water jugs/bottles filled - make sure that I've got plenty of batteries (for my fan!!) and fill the cars tank with gas.   I'll also make a run to the grocery store to get foods that don't need refrigeration.  (I've got a gas stove and generally I'm still able to cook when the power is out, so that's been a plus)  I'll also move all frozen foods from the freezer in the refrigerator over to the chest freezer (to fill it more) which helps to keep everything colder longer.  And I put a cup of water in the freezer (let it freeze) then put a penny on top of it. (when the power comes back on, I check the cup... and if the penny has fallen all the way to the bottom I know that the freezer fully defrosted and I will likely have to toss everything)

my BF will make sure we've got propane in the tank for the grill too

and if its going to be that bad, we'll park our cars in the space between our house and the neighbors, to hopefully avoid flying debris.