Booking cruise shortly after returning home...

21 hours ago, flossie009 said:

I believe it is per certificate not per person. Each certificate covers one cruise booking.

(£800GBP for us based in the UK)

You’re right. We travel as a couple and that’s my bias. I stated the certificate cost per person because if memory serves the deposit in the Onboard Booking brochure quotes the deposit for most suites and cruises to be $500pp. That way the numbers have the same units for easy comparison. 

12 hours ago, chamima said:

On Princess the perks are the same (unless they're having a special  on board only sale of certain cruises).

But on Celebrity there are many more restrictions (and fewer perks) when purchasing whatever they call their future cruise certificates rather than an actual cruise.

Hence my question.

I can't speak for either Princess or Celebrity, but when we did an "open booking" which appears to be the same thing, we got all the perks of booking on board. So it appears that the perks are the same as booking a specific cruise on board.  But if you really want to know, just ask on board.