Noordam Thermal Suites

Kaibyrd

Hi! We’re booked for our first ever cruise on Noordam to Alaska but it’s just over a year away. I was thinking of getting the thermal suite pass for my mother and I but was wondering if it’s worth it on the Noordam. I can’t find much info anywhere but it looks like all that’s included is the thermal pool, the heated loungers and some steam rooms but no sauna. Is this correct? Another concern is the chlorine smell in the thermal pool. You know how some pools can have a very strong chlorine smell? Is that the case here? I’m a bit sensitive to chlorine so that is a big concern if I’m in there several times during our 7 night trip. Thanks for any insight you can give me! 

1 hour ago, Kaibyrd said:

Hi! We’re booked for our first ever cruise on Noordam to Alaska but it’s just over a year away. I was thinking of getting the thermal suite pass for my mother and I but was wondering if it’s worth it on the Noordam. I can’t find much info anywhere but it looks like all that’s included is the thermal pool, the heated loungers and some steam rooms but no sauna. Is this correct? Another concern is the chlorine smell in the thermal pool. You know how some pools can have a very strong chlorine smell? Is that the case here? I’m a bit sensitive to chlorine so that is a big concern if I’m in there several times during our 7 night trip. Thanks for any insight you can give me! 

Most of the time there are two "steam rooms" in the thermal suite with one being wet, and the other dry, there's a 3rd room that's oftentimes just a room temperature or a very lightly steamed relaxation type room.  On some of the ships a traditional dry sauna can be found near the Lido Pool area separated by gender, but don't quote me on that, I haven't been to it in years, it's possible it was taken out to make room for the expanded spa facilities.   

They don't use all that much chlorine in the thermal pool that I could see/smell, if at all. And they are drained and cleaned once a week on a 7 day, at least they used to.  

We had the week pass recently on Noordam and REALLY liked it.  Very relaxing.  The pool did not seem overly chlorinated, and the loungers were nicely hot.  Within the lounger area was a large steam sauna and several showers. Overall, it was a nice addition to our cruise.

20240506_102524.jpg

20240506_102514.jpg

20240508_151037.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kaibyrd said:

OP-I looked up an older more detailed deck plan (not the ones they use now that are just an outline) and I'm not seeing the old style saunas that I once did on Noordam's sister ships so it's my guess they were taken out or never put in to begin with since Noordam was built later than her sisters and had a lot of the upgrades built right in. 

But I think you'd be happy with the steam room that feels like a sauna. If you decide to wait and purchase the pass on the ship, they will always let you tour the facility first.  

8 minutes ago, julia said:

We had the week pass recently on Noordam and REALLY liked it.  Very relaxing.  The pool did not seem overly chlorinated, and the loungers were nicely hot.  Within the lounger area was a large steam sauna and several showers. Overall, it was a nice addition to our cruise.

20240506_102524.jpg

20240506_102514.jpg

20240508_151037.jpg

Great pictures!

OMG-these pictures are making me want to be on a ship so badly!  The thermal suite on a sea day is about my favorite place to be in the whole world.

Edited by atexsix
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kaibyrd said:

Thanks y’all!!! That does help. 😊

The bottom line is the thermal suites are well worth it and you'll find yourself using it more frequently than you think, especially sea days.  And if you are traveling during peak times of the year, the thermal suite is designated as adults only, and it's enforced!  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We had a thermal suite pass for our 21 day January cruise on the Oosterdam, which is a cookie cutter of the Noordam.  The saunas in the lounger area seemed like they could be steam or dry depending on how much water was put on the "stones."  The pool was wonderful and no overwhelming chlorine smell.  A really nice treat for us prior to dinner.  We went late in the day, @6 -6:30 to make sure we would have heated loungers after the pool.  This was recommended on CC and worked perfectly.  One day we went early and the loungers were full of those reading and checking email and internet.  The 15 minute limit was not respected or enforced.  You will love it but you may need to be flexible on availability of heated loungers.  Have fun with your Mom.  Cherie   

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

The bottom line is the thermal suites are well worth it and you'll find yourself using it more frequently than you think, especially sea days.  And if you are traveling during peak times of the year, the thermal suite is designated as adults only, and it's enforced!  

I’m hoping the end of Aug, first week in Sept most kids will be back in school.

Thanks! 

18 minutes ago, cccole said:

We had a thermal suite pass for our 21 day January cruise on the Oosterdam, which is a cookie cutter of the Noordam.  The saunas in the lounger area seemed like they could be steam or dry depending on how much water was put on the "stones."  The pool was wonderful and no overwhelming chlorine smell.  A really nice treat for us prior to dinner.  We went late in the day, @6 -6:30 to make sure we would have heated loungers after the pool.  This was recommended on CC and worked perfectly.  One day we went early and the loungers were full of those reading and checking email and internet.  The 15 minute limit was not respected or enforced.  You will love it but you may need to be flexible on availability of heated loungers.  Have fun with your Mom.  Cherie   

Thanks for the info! Do they have towels and robes available in the Thermal Suite? 

Yes, towels are in the thermal pool area AND in the heated lounger area.  You will check in at the spa desk and should ask for a locker.  In the locker there will be a robe.  It's a nice changing area.  I did not see robes in the pool or lounger area, just towels.  Also, the shower area in the thermal pool did not work during our cruise so I used the showers in the lounger area to rinse off after the pool. Have fun.  Cherie

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cccole said:

Also on sea days would be people blabbing away full volume, they don't respect the policies about keeping conversations quiet and to a minimum.  I learned to avoid between meal times as well, early in the morning when they first opened was best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cccole said:

Yes, towels are in the thermal pool area AND in the heated lounger area.  You will check in at the spa desk and should ask for a locker.  In the locker there will be a robe.  It's a nice changing area.  I did not see robes in the pool or lounger area, just towels.  Also, the shower area in the thermal pool did not work during our cruise so I used the showers in the lounger area to rinse off after the pool. Have fun.  Cherie

the changing rooms have nice showers too with actual doors; these are separated by gender, the showers in the thermal suite itself are open to men and women.  

I also think the steam rooms on HAL are very tolerable, the Princess steam was so hot I couldn't stand it for more than a few minutes.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, atexsix said:

the changing rooms have nice showers too with actual doors; these are separated by gender, the showers in the thermal suite itself are open to men and women.  

I also think the steam rooms on HAL are very tolerable, the Princess steam was so hot I couldn't stand it for more than a few minutes.

Agree that there are showers in the changing rooms, however, on the Oosterdam all showers in the locker room had doors that were "see thru".  So, that is why I rinsed off in the showers in the heated lounger room before enjoying the heated loungers.  My husband says that the shower doors in the men's locker room are also see thru.  Not a huge problem if you don't expect privacy but I rinsed in the private showers in the lounger room and then changed in one of the two private changing areas in the locker room.  Your ship may be different, but I was a bit shocked to walk into the locker room and see women showering behind non-private glass doors.  JMO. Cherie 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cccole said:

Agree that there are showers in the changing rooms, however, on the Oosterdam all showers in the locker room had doors that were "see thru".  So, that is why I rinsed off in the showers in the heated lounger room before enjoying the heated loungers.  My husband says that the shower doors in the men's locker room are also see thru.  Not a huge problem if you don't expect privacy but I rinsed in the private showers in the lounger room and then changed in one of the two private changing areas in the locker room.  Your ship may be different, but I was a bit shocked to walk into the locker room and see women showering behind non-private glass doors.  JMO. Cherie 

I don't remember them being literally see through because these rooms are also used by gym people to shower/change, they aren't going to be wearing bathing suits; seemed to me the shower doors were more like marbled glass in that you can make out shapes in the context of it's obvious someone is in there but nothing revealing.  Maybe the Oosterdam is different, my last few sailings were on Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, cccole said:

You're right @atexsix, they are not clear glass, lightly frosted but not private.   I always just changed and showered back in our cabin.  Just my choice.Cherie 

I've used them.  The water is nice and hot, it steams up the glass pretty fast.  I have never found them cold or lukewarm showers, the same cannot be said for my staterooms.

• Thanks 1

Whenever we were enjoying the heated loungers, it was VERY quiet, and people mostly spoke in whispers. Nice.  Below is the ladies changing room.  It's bright and pretty, well stocked with towels, and each locker had a robe & slippers.  The shower doors are mostly opaque glass. 

20240510_181311.thumb.jpg.f68ee5b373dc1efa76c248674a6288db.jpg

20240510_181302.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Just to clarify, the bottom photo shows a changing room, not a shower door.  Those are on the opposite wall... three shower stalls, with wall mounted toiletries.

• Like 1