What currency is best for tipping on SE Asia cruise ( if a crew member has been especially helpful)?

We’ll be traveling Hong Kong to Singapore.   And although our cruise package includes tipping, I’ve found that sometimes a crew member has been especially helpful and I want to give an individual extra tip.  We’ll be stopping at different countries.  Is there one particular currency that the crew prefers?  Do they like US dollars?

Thanks for any help.

Of course U.S. dollars are preferred.  But we were in Indonesia earlier in the year and I just noticed that I had some Indonesian rupiahs in my desk drawer.  Just checked what 650K was worth and it is $41. and a 100K rupiah note is $6.35.  We are leaving on the Westerdam for 53 days in a couple of weeks, so will take it along with me.  Instead of slipping him or her a $5. bill, it will be interesting to see their expression if I slip them a $100K rupiah.

Ray

Sometimes the cruise terminals have a widows and orphan fund for mariners where they collect unused foreign currency. I passed one today in Halifax.  American Airlines (and perhaps others) also has a program onboard some of their international flights 

As others have said, the USD is best for tipping onboard.  But I suppose if you have some Indonesian rupiahs left over, it would be fine to give it to an Indonesian crew member.  And similarly, Philippine pesos for a Filipino crew member.  Obviously, make sure you know who is who so you don't give the wrong currency.